Removing references from 500+ files

bunny3

Hello,
I developed a template for my office that eliminated redundant data entry by referencing another spreadsheet. I've created more than 500 files from that template. My supervisor recently expressed concern about the files pulling incorrect information if the reference spreadsheet is moved or corrupted. I've been asked to remove the references from all the files I've made from the template.

I've been opening files individually, copying the cells with references, pasting as values, and saving. If I have to do this for hundreds of files, I will. But does anyone have any better ideas? I don't have any experience with macros or VBA but I'd be willing to try. Please be advised, my office uses Excel 2003, so that's all I have to work with.

FWIW, I've advised my supervisor that all he needs to do when he opens an older file with a reference is click the "Don't Update" button. But he's not satisfied with that.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
In the ribbon, under the data tab, there's the option of severing connections with outside references. This will make all external references values and leave all other formulae intact.
I'm sure you could put this into a VBA loop, but that's not my area to give advice in.

The top screenshot shows 'edit links'. This shouldn't be grey in your case and there you have the option I'm talking about:

How-to Connect Excel to an External Data Source - jmerrell.com

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back