Rookie, needs a Macro or formula for if-then on 4 criteria

JENESIS9777

Hello
I have "IF" data in 1 column and I need to populate the "THEN" into another column. I am creating an index, and it would be easier to have it auto populate than to type everything in.

Column N = Document type
Column L = Index Number code

for example I need to determine

if contract then =1.0
if agreement or work order= 1.1
if supporting document= 1.1.1
if other = 1.1.1.1

and I have to run a pivot table report off of that data to see how many of each for certain time periods (year to date and weekly and monthly) I do have a date column in this spreadsheet as well. I may also need to sort by vendor as well. I am constantly adding data to this sheet.

Thank you for reading and for any help I get!! :)

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
"=LOOKUP(LEFT(A7,1),{"a","c","o","s";"1.1","1.0","1.1.1.1","1.1.1"})"

Assumes that the IF result is in A7.

edvwvw

Upvote 0
Hiya,

I noticed no one has answered this yet and whilst there are experts on here who will poss come to this later with a one liner solution to your issue, I do know a way to get you to your goal (provided I have understood correctly).

Firstly, make a list of the Document Types somewhere in your worksheet / workbook (doesn't matter where). Highlight that list and click on "Insert > Name > Define" and call it DocType.

In cell L2 (assuming L1 is already used for a column header) click on Data > Validation and choose "List". In the Source box type =DocType and press OK

In cell N2 (again assuming N1 is used for column header) type =IF(L2="Contract","1.0",IF(L2="Agreement","1.1",IF(L2="Work Order","1.1",IF(L2="Supporting Document","1.1.1",IF(L2="Other","1.1.1.1","")))))

You can drag that down however many rows you need to and that should do the trick until someone with a wee bit more knowledge and a smaller solution comes along.

Best Regards
Jamie

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi and thank you for the response, however I tried the formula as written, then I tried to modify it as needed, still no luck.

I even cut the column L and moved it to N so it could reference the info to the left. I pasted what I have and I have an #N/A error. what should I do?

=LOOKUP(LEFT(M:M),{"CONTRACT","EXHIBIT","SUB-AGREEMENT","SOW","SUPPORTING DOCUMENT","OTHER";"1.0","1.0","1.1","1.1","1.1.1","1.1.1.1"})

Upvote 0
Hi,

so you're not waiting round for me to get back to you I thought I would reply now. Other than nesting loads of IF statements like I mentioned in my reply above I am totally lost and cannot help you further so best waiting for someone else other than me to come back to you - but if no one else does, I have tested the above and it works with up to 7 doc types.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0
=LOOKUP(M1,{"CONTRACT","EXHIBIT","SUB-AGREEMENT","SOW","SUPPORTING DOCUMENT","OTHER"},{"1.0","1.0","1.1","1.1","1.1.1","1.1.1.1"})

and copy down column M

Upvote 0
Hi

I see that the if result is in column M:

You need to look at a specific cell in the column - the expression LEFT was used to look for the first letter in the IF result - you do not need the whole word/ sentence.

If you really want to use the whole word then you could drop LEFT and just use M1 or M2 etc

The first part of the lookup array {"contract", "Other",etc etc } should be arranged alphabetically otherwise it will produce the wrong result

edvwvw

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jaime your a Genius! So are the rest of yoou that responded! Thank you it worked great!!! you saved me hours of work! THANK YOU THANK YOU!! :):LOL::ROFLMAO:;)

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR RESPONSES I THINK THIS ONE IS SOLVED! (i have another post i never received a response on if there are any takers ) Have a great day everyone!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahmad123098

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back