Search data then show results in a list box

kira023

Hi,

I'm currently working on a troubleshooting guide for our team and I've created a userform to be able to search using the 2 combo boxes that are dependent with each other. When clicking the Search button I wanted it to use the information on the 2 combo boxes to find it in a single worksheet where all the data is located (eg. Bot Names = column B and automation name = column C) and then show the troubleshooting guide in column D on a list box which corresponds to the data being searched by the 2 combo boxes.

I don't have an initial code for the search button. If someone can please help me create this that would be helpful.

Thank you

Hi fluff,i'm really sorry! i didn't mean to cross post my query. I just didn't know how to upload my file so i was looking for a forum that i can access using my company laptop.. i apologize for doing that. i still want your help as you are the 1st one who helped me and this is my 1st time posting on a forum.thank you

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
As far as I know there is no way to have multiline text in a ListBox, you could try a TextBox instead.
With only 2 rows of data in the test file, it's difficult to understand what you are after.
Will there only be one row of data that matches the value in combos 1 & 2?

Upvote 0
I see. so it's impossible for a list box. There would be multiple rows that would match the combos 1 & 2 as I wanted it to be a troubleshooting guide on how to resolve errors. searching for the bot name and automation name then matching it will show the guide on how to fix it. can you test it on a text box? and also the clear button doesn't work.

Thank you

Upvote 0
If you are going to have multiple returns then you need to rethink your approach.
One option would be to have an extra column, where the text is just one line & that could go into the listbox. The user then selects from the listbox & that will populate the textbox with the relevant cell contents.

Upvote 0
hmm I see. Can we just remove the listbox and use the search button to search that matches the combos 1 & 2 then will just going to automatically find it wherever it is on the spreadsheet? because the text on column D are merged cells and would contain long text so the list box would not work. it would be like just a normal search and find function but the userform will be used to search for the specific guide.

Upvote 0
If you have merged cells then all bets are off.
Merged cells are a monumental pain in the RRs & should be avoided like the plague.

Upvote 0
Ok that is noted. But if they are on a single row is it possible to use the search button to find the specific values on the combos 1 & 2? If yes, Do you have any idea on how to make all the text on that row in a visible format? for example i have a lot of words on that cell and row. and when I search for that specific value how can it be shown just like a guide that I can read easily?

Upvote 0
Rather than using a userform & combos, you'd probably be better off making the rows as tall as they need to be in order to see the text & then use either advanced filters or an autofilter

Upvote 0
I can do that but I'm making it to serve as a tool so I wanted other users to navigate only in the userform so they don't need to scroll on the spreadsheet. Just search and find.

Thank you

Upvote 0
Can you edit the codes in the file that I gave you and change the codes to show the data on a textbox?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techog

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back