Sheet Name But Referencing Column Letter

emptyq

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

Overall I'm trying to use a filter function with data from a separate sheet. Problem is the data is not very consistent and the column headers move around. I can use the address and match to find my column letter in the other sheet but I want to be able to put it back in to an overall function like the one at the bottom. It's part of a large function but this is a step I'm stuck on. For reference say data is in Sheet1 and the column with header "Start time" is in column L.

Find "Start time" = Address(1,match("Start time",Sheet1!A1:Z1,0)),4)
Returns L1
If I just want L = SUBSTITUTE(ADDRESS(1,(match("Start time",Sheet1!A1:Z1,0)),4),"1","")

=ArrayFormula(iferror(small(filter(Sheet1!L:L, Sheet1!L:L>0, Sheet1!A:A=A1),1),""))
Sheet1!A:A=A1 does not change just looking up the same value to cross reference rows

My first thought was an indirect function but it doesn't seem to work. Any help is appreciated. I'll update if I find the correct formula or function.

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
Is this for Excel or for Google sheets?

Upvote 0
Oops sorry, just realized I'm on the wrong forum side. Googlesheets so I will delete.

Upvote 0
No need to delete I've moved it for you.
Does Sheets allow you to create structured tables, like Excel?

Upvote 0
Unfortunately Sheets does not have the same table references as excel. I can manipulate it similar but not the [Table1] style reference.

Upvote 0
Worst case I could do all the leg work in excel and reference the returns from there to googlesheets. Say it was in excel, is there a way to do the look up Sheet1!"Lookup Column Letter":"Lookup Column Letter"?

Upvote 0
That's a shame because with a table you can directly refer to the column header.
Not sure if this works in Sheets, but you could try
Excel Formula:
=ArrayFormula(IFERROR(SMALL(FILTER(INDEX(Sheet1!A:Z,,MATCH("Start time",Sheet1!A1:Z1,0)), INDEX(Sheet1!A:Z,,MATCH("Start time",Sheet1!A1:Z1,0))>0, Sheet1!A:A=A1),1),""))

Upvote 0
Solution
Two things I have found:

1. The small function with n=1 keeps returning 0 (12:00:00AM in my case) for all of my data so using n=2 seems to bypass that.
2. The lookup filter seems to get tripped up on another column with Row 1 header being "Time of last change" and takes that value instead because it is smaller.

Bypassing the small function with n=2 and tightening up my column search width works but it doesn't really help if my L column moves too far up the alphabet.

=ArrayFormula(iferror(small(FILTER(SHEET1!A:S,INDEX(SHEET1!A:S,,MATCH("Start time",SHEET1!$A$1:$S$1,0))<>0, SHEET1!A:A=text(A1,"#")),2),""))

Upvote 0
You need to use the index/match twice as I showed, otherwise the small function is working on every column.

Upvote 0
Hot dog! For some reason that didn't work in my editing sheet but trying it out in my real one seems to do the trick. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back