Shorten list in a Dropdown (data validation) list

mark hansen

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a very long list of people I need to select from and have set up a way to shorten the list by typing in a few letters and then hitting the dropdown box to see what matches. Works well.

My question is... it seems the worksheet needs to be unprotected for this to work. Is this correct? Am I overlooking something? I've used the same technique before and I'm able to protect the sheet.

I use 3 "helper" columns to weed down the list for data validate box. If the sheet is protected, when I type the short text, the value doesn't take affect on the helper columns until I move off the cell. Clicking on the drop down arrow doesn't send the value to the helper columns. If the sheet is unprotected, it sends the value when I click on the dropdown arrow.

Any suggestions regarding what I should look at?

Thanks for any ideas,
Mark

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Does anyone have any ideas? the project that needed this was canceled, so it went to the way side. Now on another project, I could use this solution to work again. I have it working in another workbook but don't remember how I got around the protection.

During testing in the new project, it all works well, until I protect the sheet, then the formula that pulls the entry doesn't take affect until I move off the cell.

What setting could I be overlooking?
Thanks for any insight.

Upvote 0
Well, after walking away from the current project for supper... I though I'd give the protection a second look. By unchecking Edit Objects, the sheet can be protected and the drop dows work as expected. As I type a few characters, I can use the drop down and the long list is shorten to just what matches the entered text.

Sorry to bother the experts again.
Mark

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeremy_bp001

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back