Structures or an arrays of different data types.

gogui75

I an newbie at VBA but I took some short programing classes back at my college days. I am trying to declare an array with different data types and since that seems to be imposible for what I gather then my other option is to declare what I remember as a structure. Can someone help with this. An example will be nice.

Thanks for any help.....

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
If you declare your array as type variant, then you can put anything in it. Alternatively you can use the TYPE statement:
Code:
Type StateData
    CityCode (1 To 100) As Integer    ' Declare a static array.
    County As String * 30
End Type

Upvote 0
Declare it as a variant then you can load whatever you want

Code:
Dim ary As Variant

ReDim ary(1 To 5)
    ary(1) = 17
    ary(2) = "Bob"
    ary(3) = Range("A1:A10")
    ary(4) = UserForm1
    ary(5) = 17 * 121 / 65 + 9.2

Upvote 0
If you declare your array as type variant, then you can put anything in it. Alternatively you can use the TYPE statement:
Code:
Type StateData
    CityCode (1 To 100) As Integer    ' Declare a static array.
    County As String * 30
End Type
Can you give more details information about this. I don't quite get it. I get that it is a user define data type. But i don't quite get the rest. First element (colunm) is an array of 100 rows and the second col is a string. What does * 30 means? It is this how a fix the size of the string?

More importantly I am having problems when I try to run this. It seems I am placing the code in the wrong place. How do you refer to the values later after is defined or to the cols). If you have a example it will be usefull. Sorry for the bother but I am truly a rookie. thanks,

Upvote 0
Declare it as a variant then you can load whatever you want

Code:
Dim ary As Variant

ReDim ary(1 To 5)
    ary(1) = 17
    ary(2) = "Bob"
    ary(3) = Range("A1:A10")
    ary(4) = UserForm1
    ary(5) = 17 * 121 / 65 + 9.2
How you do this in a multidimensional array. The idea is to store a table to later iterate in it considering each row a single entry where i can search or call each element in that row as an individual item?

thanks,

Upvote 0
If you are loading data from a worksheet, then just use a Variant:
Code:
Dim varData
Dim lngRow as long, lngCol as long
' creates a 2 dimensional range
varData = range("A1:D100").Value
for lngRow = lbound(vardata, 1) to ubound(vardata, 1)
   for lngCol = lbound(vardata, 2) to ubound(vardata, 2)
       ' do something with varData(lngRow, lngCol)
   next lngCol
next lngRow

Upvote 0
Here's a sample using types (yes the * 30 made the example a fixed length string):
Code:
Public Type employeedata
   Name As String
   Age As Integer
   HireDate As Date
End Type
Sub testType()
   Dim emp As employeedata
   emp.Age = 31
   emp.HireDate = DateSerial(2008, 1, 30)
   emp.Name = "Mr. Pink"
   MsgBox emp.Name
End Sub

HTH

Upvote 0
This is cool. Right in the money. What i want is to read from a table in which I will have lets say 4 columms and i want to be able to do do watever by column like search in the whole columm but I also need to say each row is a record so there is a relationship in the index of that row through all the cols. So I need to combine the 2 things you just gave me. So I can have an array or another structure of the structure like you just gave me. Any idea of how to set that up. Again many thanks for the info, I appreciated it.

Upvote 0
It doesn't sound like you really need a structure. If you load the data into an array, then given a row number you can simply iterate over all columns for that row. You can use an array of types, but it makes loading the data a little slower as you have to loop through each row of your table and set the relevant properties of the type. For example, here's an array of the employeedata type:
Code:
Public Type employeedata
   Name As String
   Age As Integer
   HireDate As Date
End Type
Sub testType()
   Dim emp() As employeedata
   ReDim Preserve emp(1)
   emp(0).Age = 31
   emp(0).HireDate = DateSerial(2008, 1, 30)
   emp(0).Name = "Mr. Pink"
   emp(1).Age = 46
   emp(1).HireDate = DateSerial(2007, 1, 30)
   emp(1).Name = "Mr. White"
   MsgBox emp(0).Name
   MsgBox emp(1).Name
End Sub

Upvote 0
I am reading from a table and I need to keep record of multiple matches or finds. How do I say if you find this code in a particular row group that row and all other that have that same match together? I have a bill of materials file that has a weird arrangement. You have all the products lines or details of its components but some products have as components other products that are withing the same file but expresed as a single row and I will like to obtain the full Bill of Materials in terms of the smallest components and no intermediates. Any Ideas? This sound easy in my head but I can not come up with code for this. At the end I will like to concatenate my results to have the same Bill of Materials for a specific product in terms of the smallest materials since I will be sustituing those intermediates for their full details.
An intermediate product can have another intermediate and so on. I already identify a terminating condition for this holy mess and that is if that component it is not listed in the file as a product then, it is expresed in its simple terms....

Any Help will be apreciated.. Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back