SUMIFS multiple criteria including number "starts with"

powercell99

Board Regular
Having a problem getting this sumifs formula to work correctly using a wild card.

Sum Range: Col I
Criteria Range 1: Col C
Criteria 1: Starts with "10" (there is a 6 digit number - not a number stored as text, 1st 2 digits should be 1 and 0)
Criteria Range 2: Col N
Criteria 2: = C$1

=SUMIFS($I:$I, $C:$C, "10*", $N:$N, C$1)

I'm getting zero values as a result of the above formula.

Anybody know what i'm doing wrong? or is there another approach to this like --sumproduct() or another function??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Perhaps =SUMPRODUCT($I:$I,--(LEFT($C:$C,2)="10"),$N:$N=C$1)

Sumproduct will not work on entire columns in pre 2007 versions ( and I think it's usually a bad habit)

Upvote 0
Hey Arthur, thanks for the quick response. I know what you mean sumproduct as a bad habit, i use it on an as needed basis too.

I tried SUMPRODUCT($I:$I,--(LEFT($C:$C,2)="10"),$N:$N=C$1), and still get zero, also tried SUMPRODUCT($I:$I,--(LEFT($C:$C,2)=10),$N:$N=C$1), and get zero. Also tried specific range not entire column, but got nothing. I have office 365. I'm really stumped why none of these will work. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Upvote 0
I didn't mean SUMPRODUCT is a bad habit but using entire columns is ( in my opinion)

And like this =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT($C:$C,2)="10")*$N:$N=C$1*$I:$I)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
still nothing. I get a #Value ! result. I may just create a helper column for the 1st two characters and then do a normal sumifs. Does anyone else have any other suggestions that wouldnt require a helper column?

Upvote 0
Or =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT($C:$C,2)="10")*--($N:$N=C$1)*$I:$I)

Is this condition $N:$N=C$1 correct?

Upvote 0
Try

=SUMPRODUCT((C1:C10000>=100000)*(C1:C10000<199999)*(N1:N10000=C1))

If you get #VALUE it usually means you have text within one of the ranges.
SUMPRODUCT can't handle a range that consists of numbers and text, you need to clean the data up first.

Upvote 0
Yes $N:$N=C$1 is correct. I actually have it referencing two sheets, Columns N:N, C:C, and I:I are on Sheet 1, and cell $C$1 on Sheet 2. N:N on Sheet 1 is a pay period number, that should reflect the value on $C$1 on sheet 2. C:C on Sheet 1 is an account number, and i want to sum the accounts that start with "10" for the pay period listed on $C$1 on Sheet 2. I:I on Sheet 1 is the $$ i want summed. so the actual formula is:

SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(Sheet1!$C:$C,2)="10")*--(Sheet1!$N:$N=Sheet2!C$1)*Sheet1!$I:$I)

Makes sense? I still get a #value from the above result.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back