-emma-

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I've had some brilliant help from here recently - thank you :)

But have now encountered another problem.

At work we are sent reports from automated from systems (not owned by us)

We can manipulate these reports pretty well but there is one aspect I cant solve myself.

One column of data shows times staff have taken for breaks. This displays in the format below:

Column A Column B
Staff Name 1 0:00:15:00
Staff Name 2 0:00:19:00
Staff Name 3 0:00:16:00
Staff Name 4 0:00:01:00

I need to format Column B in order to be able to add it up as in this format it just counts the cells. The format i need (I think) is [h]:mm:ss. Could anyone throw any suggestions my way please?

Thanks for reading

Emma

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
I can't see why there are three colons. Perhaps you can use a formula or other method to hack off the :00 on the right, or you can replace the colon with a decimal (as in "portions of a second") if those numerals have a meaning in your milieu.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I've had some brilliant help from here recently - thank you :)

But have now encountered another problem.

At work we are sent reports from automated from systems (not owned by us)

We can manipulate these reports pretty well but there is one aspect I cant solve myself.

One column of data shows times staff have taken for breaks. This displays in the format below:

Column A Column B
Staff Name 1 0:00:15:00
Staff Name 2 0:00:19:00
Staff Name 3 0:00:16:00
Staff Name 4 0:00:01:00

I need to format Column B in order to be able to add it up as in this format it just counts the cells. The format i need (I think) is [h]:mm:ss. Could anyone throw any suggestions my way please?
That first 0: is not part of a standard time value... if you first remove it and then force the cells to real Time values, you will then be able to do the kinds of calculations you want to do.

Upvote 0
That first 0: is not part of a standard time value... if you first remove it and then force the cells to real Time values, you will then be able to do the kinds of calculations you want to do.

Hi,
Ive tried doing this (using =RIGHT(B1,8) in column C) bringing 00:15:00 through but still cant sum these figures.

Any suggestions on how you would do this please?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi,
Ive tried doing this (using =RIGHT(B1,8) in column C) bringing 00:15:00 through but still cant sum these figures.
Try using this formula...

=0+RIGHT(B1,8)

which will return the time a a serial number which you can Cell Format to display as a recognizable time value... and now you will be able to calculate with them.

Upvote 0
Try using this formula...

=0+RIGHT(B1,8)

which will return the time a a serial number which you can Cell Format to display as a recognizable time value... and now you will be able to calculate with them.

Works perfectly - Thank you :)

Upvote 0
Hi,

That first 0, I believe, represents Days, however, I don't think Excel recognizes this format, if you don't have Any data that has a value other than 0 at the beginning, you won't need it and can remove it.
If you Do have values other than 0, than you'll need to multiply that number by 24 and just add the result to the hours.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back