Trust Center Setting

Tom Weaver

I have created a spreadsheet with macros. I have created a digital signature and have signed the VB code. I have distributed the spreadsheet to 30 people and have added myself as a trusted publisher to 28 of those computers. I have done this by opening the signed spreadsheet on their computer and have clicked "Trust all from this publisher".

Except for two computers.

These two computers never ask to add me as a trusted publisher nor do they give me an avenue to add myself as a trusted publisher.

I have inspected all the trust center settings and they are identical to all the other computers. It is as if these two computers ignore digital signatures.

Any help would be appreciated.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).

Joe4

MrExcel MVP, Junior Admin
Office Version
Platform
Windows
What are the Macro Settings set at on their computers?
Is it set to "Disable all macros without notification"?

Joe4

Office Version
Platform
Windows
Are the other computers that work using that same setting, or the "Disable all macros except digitally signed macros" setting?

If you go to the Message Bar section, check the "Showing the Message Bar" setting. Is it set to "Never show information about blocked content"?

Tom Weaver

No, it shows "Show the Message Bar in all applications when content has been blocked".

Perhaps I should clarify... When these two users open the spreadsheet it asks them if they want to Enable the content.. but it never asks them or gives them an avenue to add my digital signature into their trusted publishers. So the trust center recognizes a macro exists AND prompts the user to enable the macro, but never recognizes (or shows recognition) that a digital signature exists.

Thanks,

Tom

Joe4

Office Version
Platform
Windows
That is odd.

This is probably an obvious question, but I am going to ask it anyway just to rule it out. Did you make sure that they are opening the correct version of the file (and not some unsigned copy)?

Tom Weaver

Yes, I even remote-assisted into their computers, unlocked my VB code and verified that my digital signature was still there.

The signature exists, but the trust center ignores it.

So much for respect (LOL)

Joe4

Office Version
Platform
Windows
That is very strange, I never heard of that happening before. I have to believe that there has to be something different about their Excel. They are on the same version as everyone else?

On the computers where it does work, does it also work when you use your Remote Connection (maybe that has something to do with it)?

I am afraid I am at a loss. If all the settings are the same as the other computers where it does work, and everyone is on the same version, then it should work.

If you discover the solution to this mystery, please post back. I am very interested in what could be causing this.

xenou

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
I used self-signed macros for two years, then - poof - the digital certificates were no longer recognized (XL2003). Never really figured it out - finally gave up using them. I'd aim for using trusted locations in 2007, if I could, to enable macros. Also BTW addins will always enable macros.

I'm also curious if you learn anything but, as mentioned, I don't really trust self-certs anymore.

Alex

Joe4

Office Version
Platform
Windows
Interesting, I have used them in Excel/Access 2000, 2003, and 2007 without difficulty.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenniferjohns

This Week's Hot Topics

• Finding issue in If elseif else with For each Loop
    Finding issue in If elseif else with For each Loop I have tried this below code but i'm getting in Y column filled with W005. Colud you please...
  • MsgBox Error
    Hi Guys, I have the below error show up when i try and run my macro in File1 but works fine if i copy and paste the same code into file2. [ATTACH...
  • CELL FORMAT - IF CONDITION
    My Cell Format is [B]""0.00" Cr". [/B]But in the cell, it is showing 123.00 for editing. (123 is entry figure). (Data imported from other...
  • Show numbers nearly the same
    Is this possible. I have a number that can change very time eg 0.00001234 Then I have a lot of numbers 0.0000001, 0.0000002, 0.00000004...
  • Please i need your help to create formula
    I need a formula in cell B8 to do this >>if b1=1 then multiply ( cell b8) by 10% ,if b1=2 multiply by 20%,if=3 multiply by 30%. Thank you in...
  • Got error while adding column and filter
    Got error while adding column and filter In column Z has some like "Success" and "Error". I want to add column in AA if the Z cell value is...