V look up? Help

sangeeta25

Board Regular
Hi

I have never really used V look up before and correct me if I'm wrong but I think v look up is what I will be needing to use to fulfil my request below:

I have a document which lists staff members who have completed their training or started their training. Now in an excel document, the first sheet called table has a table where column A lists the departments within the business, column B has the total number of staff, i.e. in each department, column C has the total number of staff who completed their training, i.e. in that department, and column D has the total number of staff who have started their training, i.e. in that department.

Sheet 2 is called HR, sheet 3 is called Finance and sheet 4 is called Legal. So within each of these sheets has data of the staff in that department, including column H which says if they have "Completed" or "Started" their training and Column A which has the name of that staff member.

What I would like to do, is be able to have the table in sheet 1 populated according to the data in sheets 2, 3 and 4.

So for instance what formula do I put in cell B3 (in the table on sheet one) which will give me the total number of staff in the HR department (sheet 2 has a list of names etc of the staff in the HR department) and what formula do I use in cell C3 which will give me the number of staff in the HR department who have "Completed" their training (it says if that staff member in HR has "completed" or "started" their training in sheet 2, column H)

Can someone please assist?

Much appreciated.

S

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
HI

I have kind of already fixed this, however the table that I had mentioned, I would like to use as a template including the formulas, for other excel workbooks but every time I try to copy and paste a box comes up and says something along the lines of the range I am pasting contains forumlas that cannot be pasted into this instance of excel, however the formulas will be pasted as values...

I want it so that the forumlas are actually pasted, not the values, this is because other work books have the same sheets which are used in the table and columns are the same etc just the data will be different as staff numbers will vary.

Can anyone help?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mparcado

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back