VBA: I cannot find the "correct" Backcolor setting for a worksheet checkbox

ez08mba

Board Regular
Through intellisense, I cannot find the backcolor fill setting for a checkbox shape within an Excel spreadsheet. I've used the "With" statement to make sure I'm selecting the one-and-only checkbox on the spreadsheet as well as the entire workbook. I'm not sure why this doesn't work?

Code:
    With wsTemplate.Shapes(1)
        .Fill.BackColor.RGB = RGB(170, 170, 170)

MsgBox .Name
    End With

Last edited:

Fluff

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
Use ForeColor, rather than BackColor

ez08mba

Board Regular
Use ForeColor, rather than BackColor
Hi Fluff!

That didn't work but I have tried that before. I'm sure you know, but this is a checkbox added from the controls under the Developer tab and not on a form. It shows as =EMBED(Form.Checkbox.1) when clicked on. I can't even get to the control properties manually. This is the first I've tried to interact with a control not located on a form, so I have no clue here. :)

Thanks!

Fluff

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
The problem is you are using an ActiveX checkbox. Try deleting it & replacing it with a Form Control checkbox instead

ez08mba

Board Regular
The problem is you are using an ActiveX checkbox. Try deleting it & replacing it with a Form Control checkbox instead
I did change it to a form control. I hadn't realized, but do remember, selecting the ActiveX. So I replaced it with the "Form control" checkbox as you suggested. It still won't change the color. I can select the control, pull the name, resize it but I cannot change the color. I don't receive an error, it simply won't change the color. There has to be something stupid that I'm missing.

Code:
        With wsTemplate.Shapes(1)
            .Select
            Cells(4, 3) = .Name
            .Height = 20
            .Width = 200
            .Fill.BackColor.RGB = RGB(0, 0, 255)
            .Fill.ForeColor.RGB = RGB(0, 0, 255)
        End Wit

ez08mba

Board Regular
I did more searching and discovered this and it worked. However, ".CheckBoxes" didn't come up as a method option with my wsTemplate reference. I took it as hoping it would work and it did. This still doesn't explain to me though why the other way doesn't work when I can do all the same things except change the color?

Code:
        With wsTemplate.CheckBoxes(1)
            .Select
            Cells(4, 3) = .Name
            .Height = 20
            .Width = 200
            .Interior.ColorIndex = 45
'            .Fill.BackColor.RGB = RGB(0, 0, 255)
'            .Fill.ForeColor.RGB = RGB(0, 0, 255)
        End With

ez08mba

Board Regular
One more thing that is interesting... If I record a macro expanding the shape of the CheckBox and change the color, the macro "does not" record changing the background color. There must be a glitch somewhere.

Code:
    ActiveSheet.Shapes("Check Box 1").ScaleWidth 1.587628866, msoFalse, _
        msoScaleFromTopLeft
    ActiveSheet.Shapes("Check Box 1").ScaleHeight 2.0322580645, msoFalse, _
        msoScaleFromTopLeft

Fluff

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
Glad you got it sorted.
Not sure why the code from post#5 doesn't work for you if it gives the right name & changes the size, as it works for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brook1083

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• VBA (Userform)
    Hi All, I just would like to know why my code isn't working. Here is my VBA code: [CODE=vba]Private Sub OKButton_Click() Dim i As Integer...
  • List box that changes fill color
    Hello, I have gone through so many pages trying to figure this out. I have a 2020 calendar that depending on the day needs to have a certain...
  • Remove duplicates and retain one. Cross-linked cases
    Hi all I ran out of google keywords to use and still couldn't find a reference how to achieve the results of a single count. It would be great if...
  • VBA Copy and Paste With Duplicates
    Hello All, I'm in need of some input. My VBA skills are sub-par at best. I've assembled this code from basic research and it works but is...
  • Macro
    is it possible for a macro to run if the active cell value is different to the value above it
  • IF DATE and TIME
    I currently use this to check if date has passed but i also need to set a time on it too. Is it possible? [CODE=vba]=IF(B:B>TODAY(),"Not...