VBA Personal to VBA worksheet

marshy3300

Board Regular
Howdy,

I have some personal macros that only work if they are copied to the worksheet macro. Unfortunately I cant store them as a worksheet macro as this is imported from another macro and renamed to override the filename of an older version.

Twofold question, can i make a personal macro work as a worksheet one, or can i run another macro to copy the macros across?

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Without seeing them it's hard to answer your first question. There are a number of answers though.

1) re-write the macros so they work in any workbook that is activated (sorry if this sounds condescending but we've no idea of how complex the macros are - it might just need a variable adding with ActiveWorkbook.Name and Workbooks(variable).Activate)

It would help if you posted an example of the code, we could help you see if this were possible.

2) Put the macros into a new workbook, and save as an Add-In (.XLA/.XLAM) and add the add-in to your Excel. You can add the macro's to your quick access toolbar or a custom ribbon. (This works well with functions)

3) You can copy macros from within workbooks. It's not that difficult, but I'd go with the first 2 options before trying it.
This is the best resource to get you started :-
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/vbe.aspx
but read it all before you start. Be aware that, since a crude form of virus can be written using this functionality, some anti-virus scanners will delete any code that accesses the VBA project.
I once wrote a macro that once put into a file, completely replicated the file into a new workbook (complex pivot tables caused it to crash after an hour or so and saveAs just saved the corrupted file as a new corrupted file) and part of this replication was to add code to replicate the replication code into the new file.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Johnny - I took option 2 with a twist of exporting the macros to .BAS and then writing a macro to import both the ones I need

Cheers as I didnt think of something as simple!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back