VBA tool to create template to spot and highlight differences between two spreadsheets

chima13

Hello,

I have a VBA problem that i need help with.

Scenario:
We constantly receive spreadsheets from third parties which we use to record various metrics. The problem is that these spreadsheets are supposed to have the same headings and format to fit our set template but do not. It takes time to compare what is received with our template and highlighting these to the sender to correct and resend.

Proposed solution:
I want to create a VBA tool that lets you paste the spreadsheet received into a tab and compare it to our template, highlight differences so that we can go back to the sender and indicate what needs to be changed. This will save hours if i can pull this off.

My visualization: Very open to suggestions for improvements on this

My proposed VBA tool will have three tabs, VBA buttons on first tab and separate tabs for our template and the other for the spreadsheet received from third party.

1. Tab 1 buttons- compare columns
  2. Tab 2 our template (we have various) the idea being you paste in the one you want to compare
  3. Tab 3 the received template

Tab 2 (our template) should highlight columns that are missing (different).

Is this possible? Is it too complicated? Please help.

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
You could upload a copy of your files (template and 2 user files with highlight differences) to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. If the workbook contains confidential information, you could replace it with generic data.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back