VBA User Forms vs. ActiveX Control on a Worksheet for a Database

ceranes

Board Regular
Hello everyone,

I am in the preliminary stages of putting together a "database" using a spreadsheet to track book orders. In a nutshell, this should be on a per-order basis. I need to track how many of each book was sold, with a running sub-total, how much shipping costs, whether or not PayPal was used to buy them, and all of the customer information. There are many more things, but this is the main idea of what we need to do.

I have been working on a VBA programming course, and I see how VBA could really benefit what I am trying to accomplish. My ultimate goal is to have a large table with all of the information stored inside, with the ability to search and call out specific records (orders), make changes if need be, and then re-save the records.

This brings me to my question - in the experience of everyone in the forum, is it better to use an actual user form or place ActiveX controls on a blank worksheet, while linking to the table on a secondary worksheet?

Do people typically use tables as databases, or should I look into using Access or SQL or something more complicated?

What is the largest database table you have used and still be able to use the program efficiently without errors and other problems? In other words, how large can I grow this before I start running into problems?

Thank you for your time.

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
againofsoul

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back