Vlookup error #N/A

dylbertiii

I'm receiving #N/A for most (about 95%) of attempted VLOOKUP entries. Does it matter that my reference array is in a xlsx and where i'm wanting it to land is in a csv?

Also, might be helpful to know that the value on the csv that i'm looking up is a result of a function that reads 2E+11. If i format cell to read as a number, i get my desired entry, 2000001701. But then, in the function bar, it displays only the number, no longer the function it took to get there.

I'm using Excell 11 for Mac.

Thanks for your help. When i'm entering in the VLOOKUP function in the formula builder mini window, it shows a preview for the lookup_value after i click the cell. It reads 2E+11, not 200000170101. Does that mean anything?

Double checked. It finds it just fine in a Command Find query. Double checked that the cells are numbers in both cases. I also erased all other columns but the two i'm working with in the reference sheet.

Can't post the files here; are there alternatives so that you might be able to see them (if you're willing)?

2E+11

is a display format. Excel sees a number and that number is: 200000170101.

What does the following do?

Control+shift+enter:

Rich (BB code):
=INDEX('[chntrp09 dustyn working.xlsx]chntrp09.csv'!$F:$F,
  MATCH(D2&"",'[chntrp09 dustyn working.xlsx]chntrp09.csv'!$E:$E,0))

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Re: 2E+11 Aha, i see.

It gets me #N/A's for all entries (no successful entries for some like i had with VLOOKUP).

It just occurred to me that i might have a couple versions of chntrp09 dustyn working saved in different places (I know, not very organized, but i've been trying different things and been quick-saving to desk top with one version, for example), and that [chntrp09 dustyn working.xlsx]chntrp09.csv] doesn't specify a file directory. Could it be that it doesn't know which chntrp09 dustyn working.xlsx to reference?

Upvote 0
Re: 2E+11 Aha, i see.

It gets me #N/A's for all entries (no successful entries for some like i had with VLOOKUP).

It just occurred to me that i might have a couple versions of chntrp09 dustyn working saved in different places (I know, not very organized, but i've been trying different things and been quick-saving to desk top with one version, for example), and that [chntrp09 dustyn working.xlsx]chntrp09.csv] doesn't specify a file directory. Could it be that it doesn't know which chntrp09 dustyn working.xlsx to reference?

Yes...

Upvote 0
No cigar. I deleted all the similar files i could find, but it didn't work. So...

I deleted all the files that had anything to do with this research, gutted my trash bin, downloaded them fresh from the source's site, thinned them down again, created the formulas for the id's. Saved both sheets as xlsx (if tried to save them in the original csv format, it warned me that there might be errors-???). VLOOKUP function worked this time for all desired cells.

Thanks for the help Aladin. It's been very much appreciated!

Upvote 0
No cigar. I deleted all the similar files i could find, but it didn't work. So...

I deleted all the files that had anything to do with this research, gutted my trash bin, downloaded them fresh from the source's site, thinned them down again, created the formulas for the id's. Saved both sheets as xlsx (if tried to save them in the original csv format, it warned me that there might be errors-???). VLOOKUP function worked this time for all desired cells.

Thanks for the help Aladin. It's been very much appreciated!

You are welcome.

Upvote 0
check both the data if there is any duplicate value in it..........and make sure in table array you should use $....

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TAKLAM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back