What's wrong with my code?

Jlombard_

Hi guys,

I've been building some code for a spreadsheet which has a whole host of individual weighted words.

When a user types in a particular sentence into the (Sheet: tester) "Search_box1" field, upon clicking a button I want each word in "search_box1" to be referenced in a separate sheet called "weighting" (Column A3:A) - in column H there is a score for each word.

When the words have been found in the system I want them to be added together to form an overall grade of the sentence which will be displayed in a sheet called 'tester' (CELL REF: GRADE_VALUE).

At the same time, once the button has been clicked I'd want a copy of both the GRADE_VALUE and the Search_box1 cell logged into a sheet called 'history_search'. cells A2 onwards (GRADE_VALUE) and B2 onwards (Search_box1).

Currently, with the code I'm facing a mismatch but I'm not sure what the problem actually is (being new to things like this).

Capture.png

Image of code and error;
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1keaJ_VwO-yCbCe1Tq73go0AP7bXEpqdo/view?usp=sharing

Link to a similar sheet; https://drive.google.com/file/d/19z6ArPzzRQ2oSqnkFQ2LeTjcL3b5irLI/view

view

Last edited:
Although I have just noticed that upon clicking the cmd button the score is always the same regardless of the values i enter into the search_box1 field?
That's because you have this at the top of the sub
Code:
 inputString = "This is an example sentence"
So you are only ever testing that string

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
That's because you have this at the top of the sub
Code:
 inputString = "This is an example sentence"
So you are only ever testing that string

I didn't even notice that! - would i need to delete he "this is an example sentence" or copy across every sentence/word?

Upvote 0
Change it to
Code:
inputString = Sheet3.Range("I15").Value
and change the msgbox to
Code:
    MsgBox "Sentence grade is: " & Format(score, "#0.00")

Upvote 0
Change it to
Code:
inputString = Sheet3.Range("I15").Value
and change the msgbox to
Code:
    MsgBox "Sentence grade is: " & Format(score, "#0.00")

fluff, do you accept marriage proposals? you're a genius!

If I wanted the score value to appear in a cell called "grade" on the "tester" sheet, instead of or as well as the msg box, how would I make that happen?

Upvote 0
Something like
Code:
sheet3.range("H16").value=score

Upvote 0
Something like
Code:
sheet3.range("H16").value=score

Thank you so much! you've been amazingly helpful with all of this! Been working on this project for around 6 weeks now and thanks to you I believe it's all complete minus a few minor issues

Upvote 0
Glad to help & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0
Glad to help & thanks for the feedback

I do have a couple of questions if you wouldn't mind helping me a little more?

Within the same button I'd want the data tested to pull through to a sheet called 'history_search' with column A being the subject grade produced and column B being the subject tested. In the past i've used the offset method linked within database formula (=COUNTA(History_search!A2:A999)) to find the bottom entry and then add the entry in - however this was done with a userform. When it comes to copying content across I'm not entirely sure on the best practice on how to carry the information across - any suggestions?

Upvote 0
Try adding this to the end of the code
Code:
    Sheet4.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1).Resize(, 2).Value = Array(Sheet3.Range("I15").Value, score)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MhammadishaqKhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back