Workbook was corrupted

roc_ent

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello, I was working away on a workbook that I had created a few weeks ago to track sales of a fundraiser. When I went to save it, the screen came all white and it had yellow ! on it in several places. I look at the top of my screen and it said program not responding, so I left it alone for a while longer.

Then, my screen came back to normal, but when I went to open the workbook, and it was not listed in the folder that it was originally saved in.

I then opened Excel and click on the latest file that have been used (my workbook was listed there) and I received an error message that the file does not exist, or it may have been renamed or deleted.

I checked in my deleted files and nothing is there. Is there "any" way of getting this file back, as it holds all the information for the fundraiser?

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
that is the sad part. I had worked on this book for weeks now, then opened it to work on it again last night. When every thing happened, the original book is also gone. There is no Excel file in that folder, not in the recycle bin, and when I do a search for it there are no files with that name.

Upvote 0
You should always make a backup.
Either copy the file once you've finished working on it or give it a version number if you want incremental backups, e.g. Fundraiser 1.00.xlsx, Fundraiser 1.01.xlsx, Fundraiser 2.00.xlsx etc
That way at least you can salvage something if not the complete file.

And don't backup to the same media, ie the same hard drive, if you backed up to a cheap USB stick you'd probably have the file by now.

Upvote 0
Yes I agree about the backups, however even the original file which I opened from where it was saved is gone, but still trying to find it somewhere. I don't think (although I'm not an expert) it can vanish just like that. Or at least I hope it can't.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweetkt327

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back