Working with numbers

kjb14

Hello,

I am at my wits end trying to work with numbers in excel. I simply want to be able to work with minutes and seconds data. Add it, subtract it, heck maybe even divide it. So I want to be able to take 20:00 (20 minutes, 00 seconds) and subtract 7:45 (or even 07:45) and get 12:15. I might even then be inclined to take 12:15 and put it in another equation where I may want to add 13:22 to it, and get 25:37.

Try as I might, no matter how I format the column (I have tried mm:ss, h:mm, h:mm:ss) etc., I end up with a clock time in the formula bar. It ends up as 13:22 ends up as 1:13:22 AM (or something along those lines). I have played around with the minute and second functions but haven't been able to get them to work either.

And god forbid if you have a situation where you want 115:35 (which I could do as 1:15:35, but I'd rather not as in my field that is not the way you record that time.)

Excel is so great to use in so many ways, but this time thing is killing me. It can't be this hard to simply add and subtract minutes and seconds from each other.

I am willing to go the macro route if someone knows one that will work. Please let me know, and know that I will be forever in your debt.

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Well, here's how it works for me. I type "0:20:00" in A1, "0:7:45" in B1, and "A1-B1" in C3. I get "00:12:15" as a result with custom formatting "hh:mm:ss"

Adding 12:15 and 13:22 admittedly gets me "1:37:00" because 12 + 13 = 25, which is a day plus one hour, and since I'm only formatting for hours, minutes, and seconds, I don't get the day. However, this might work for you because if I format the cell as "dhh:mm:ss" the result is "101:37:00" which is what you said is how time is recorded in your field.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you do try the macro route, these may get you started. I made a stopwatch sheet to time myself doing some work at the office. Here is the code I use for each button, start and stop.

Code:
Private Sub StartButton_Click()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Unprotect

'This part puts the start time in F2 and formats it to show AM/PM.
Cells(2, 6).Value = Time
Cells(2, 6).NumberFormat = "h:mm:ss AM/PM"

Cells(5, 6).Value = ""
Cells(8, 6).Value = ""
StartButton.Enabled = False
Protect
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Private Sub StopButton_Click()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Unprotect

'This part puts the end time in F5 and formats it to show AM/PM.
Cells(5, 6).Value = Time
Cells(5, 6).NumberFormat = "h:mm:ss AM/PM"

'This part subtracts F2 time value from F5 time value and formats it to display without AM/PM.
Cells(8, 6).Value = Cells(5, 6).Value - Cells(2, 6).Value
Cells(8, 6).NumberFormat = "h:mm:ss"

StopButton.Enabled = False
Protect
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojomen56

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back