Help with excel macro for Vlookup

stzruya

Hi,
I'm trying to write code of vlookup function that will refer to sheet name by name that will be set by string input. meaning that based on the string value the vlookup will go to the sheet name that exist in the string.

Thank you in advance
stzruya

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Well a VBA solution could work something like this -

Code:
Public Function fnMyVlookupResult(varLookupVal As Variant, strSheetName As String) As Variant    
fnMyVlookupResult = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(varLookupVal, Sheets(strSheetName).Range("A1:B3"), 2, False)
End Function

But if it doesn't have to be a VBA solution, I would imagine it's easier to use the INDIRECT formula.

Here is an example of Indirect()

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the help :)
I need to refer the Vlookup to sheet in specific workbook (different than the one that the macro is running on). i defined the workbook location and name as variable.
How can i do the vlookup for sheet in other workbook - where do i add/write the workbook variable and the sheet name as variable too (variable for sheet name defined as string).

** i do need it in VBA

Appreciate your support

Upvote 0
No worries, hope this next solution works for you.

Code:
Public Function fnMyVlookupResult(varLookupVal As Variant, strWBName As String, strSheetName As String) As Variant
    Dim wbLookIn As Workbook

On Error GoTo err_handle

Set wbLookIn = Workbooks.Open(strWBName)

With wbLookIn
        fnMyVlookupResult = WorksheetFunction.VLookup(varLookupVal, .Sheets(strSheetName).Range("A1:B3"), 2, False)
        .Close
    End With
    Exit Function

err_handle:
    Select Case Err
        Case Is = 1004
            fnMyVlookupResult = "#ERROR"
            Exit Function
        Case Else
            Err.Raise Err, "fnMyVlookup", Err.Description, Err.HelpFile, Err.HelpContext
            Resume Next
    End Select
End Function

This function will open the workbook for you & perform the VLookup in the specified range A1:B3 of whatever sheet you input into the strSheetName param.

• 2nd parameter has changed to the name of the workbook you want to do the vlookup() in
  • If your .xlsm file is saved inside the same directory as the file you want to look up in, you can get away with just using the WB name (including extension .xls(x/m), if it's not then you will need to use the full file path
  • For your own purpose you may want to control the workbook being opened / closed outside of the function if you're performing this multiple times in one go
  • You may want to obviously make the range a bit more dynamic

Hope this has helped, let me know!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,
Want to let you know that it's worked like a charm :cool:, i Just finished to write the full code i needed and it was perfect. i also use your recommendations to open the workbook outside the function.
Thank you for the great support.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back