Running Bank Statement

spencerellis90

Hi guys

For work I have to keep an Excel version of our company card bank statement and day by day I have to update it, and then annotate it on Excel with notes. When exporting the Excel version of the bank statement, sometimes the order changes and a transaction or two appear amongst transactions I already have in my spreadsheet, which means I am manually having to identify what is new and what I already have, so I know what to copy and paste in and what not to.

Is there a way I can easily update my running statement whenever I need to, without duplicating transactions?

Things to note:
- Sometimes I may have two identical transactions with regard to date, vendor and amount on the statement; simply removing duplicates won't work
- I annotate my Excel sheet so I can't just copy and paste over what I have in my Excel running statement - I need the transactions I already have to remain in the spreadsheet with my annotations.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,
Jake

Also posted here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Things to note:
- Sometimes I may have two identical transactions with regard to date, vendor and amount on the statement; simply removing duplicates won't work

How do you know what is a duplicate to be deleted and what is a identical transaction that should not be deleted?

Upvote 0
How do you know what is a duplicate to be deleted and what is a identical transaction that should not be deleted?

Hi Scott

I only know because I'm currently manually adding in new transactions and then laboriously checking it matches the statement. Soon I won't be able to manually add in new transactions, and for the reason you mentioned I can't just remove duplicates.

I need my statement to be updated to match the statement I download, without losing my notes.

To put my issue in to context, in basic terms:

On Monday I download a statement for the first time. I add a column for my notes and this becomes my master statement:

DateVendorAmountNotes
16/07A£10Shoes
17/07B£5Bags
17/07B£5Bags
18/07C£8Hats

<tbody>
</tbody>

On Tuesday, I download the same statement, but some transactions have been added and changed the order:

DateVendorAmount
16/07A£10
16/07D£2
17/07B£5
17/07B£5
18/07C£8

<tbody>
</tbody>

How do import the only the new transactions (highlighted in orange) to create the below:

DateVendorAmountNotes
16/07A£10Shoes
16/07D£2
17/07B£5Bags
17/07B£5Bags
18/07C£8Hats

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thanks,
Jake

Upvote 0
Without something in the file to tell what should be deleted and what should not I do not see of doing this except to manually use the statement as you currently are.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back