Copy cell data from one sheet to another based off cell vaule

PacVII

Office Version
  1. 365
I have two sheets in one workbook. DataEntry and DataSheet.

One of my teams input data in rows on the DataSheet using column C as the account number, then column D as customer name.

My other team goes into the workbook and will use the DataEntry sheet to search for data by account number in cell F10. I have the information pulled over from the DataSheet by a simple VLOOKUP. I then have two additional cells that need updated back to the DataSheet on the same row that VLOOKUP pulled over from. Copy cell H13 and I13 into DataSheet columns K and L. I have not had any luck and searched all over. Anyone have any idea how this can be done? Not even sure where to start wit the VBA.

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Your task seems deceptively simple so I suspect your goal is more complex than you indicate. Returning the value of DataEntry!H13 and DataEntry!I13 to the relevant row of DataSheet!K:L as determined by a VLOOKUP on DataSheet!C:C can be done with a simple IF. But if you don't want DataSheet!K and DataSheet!L to remain dynamic. Meaning, if you want them to populate when there is a match and remain populated while a different account number is checked ... well, that's a different ballgame with a different solution, so at the risk of going off topic, I'll give you both.

Disclaimer: I've made assumptions about your workbook and working environment and typed the solutions directly in the Quick Reply box. I've not tested these in any way.

Excel formula solution:
Type into DataSheet!K2 then drag the cell right one column and down far enough to reach the end of your data.
Code:
=IF($C2='DataEntry'!$F$10,'DataEntry'!H$13,"")

VBA Solution:
Copy the text open the VBA editor and paste this in the DataEntry object module. I assume DataEntry!F10 is manually changed. If it is then this will update DataSheet every time a new account number is checked. However, if DataEntry!F10 is populated with a formula then this is not a good solution for you.

Code:
Option Explicit
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
   Dim i as Long
   Dim DS as Worksheet
   If Target.Parent.Name = "DataEntry" Then
      Set DS = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("DataSheet")
      With DS
         For i = 2 to .UsedRange.Rows.Count
            If .Range("C" & i).Value2 = Target.Parent.Range("F10").Value2 Then
               .Range("K" & i).Value2 = Target.Parent.Range("H13").Value2
               .Range("L" & i).Value2 = Target.Parent.Range("I13").Value2
            End If
         Next
      End With
   End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Just read through the code and realized I didn't verify Target.Address .... that means this actually updates when ANY cell DataEntry is manually changed. Oops.

So yes I am trying to copy two of the cells from theDataEntry sheet (H13 and I13) over to columns K (H13) and L(I13) of theDataSheet using the account number from cell F10 of the DataEntry sheet tomatch up with column C that has the account number to have that data input intothe row.

I am getting an error on the target and not sure how to fixthis.

F10 on the DataEntry sheet that I use to try and match overto the DataSheet is not a formula the user inputs that into the sheet as theaccount number)

I thought this would be easy but I am just not getting it.

Thank you,

Upvote 0
I got it - thanks!

'If Target.Parent.Name = "DataEntry" Then
Set DS = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("DataSheet")
With DS
For i = 2 To .UsedRange.Rows.Count
If .Range("C" & i).Value2 = Worksheets("DataEntry").Range("F10").Value2 Then
.Range("K" & i).Value2 = Worksheets("DataEntry").Range("H13").Value2
.Range("L" & i).Value2 = Worksheets("DataEntry").Range("I13").Value2
End If
Next
End With
'End If

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahmad123098

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back