"Read-only or encrypted" problem

zookeepertx

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all!

Sometime last week I suddenly developed a problem that I've never seen before. I was attempting to open a file from a website - which I've done for months with no problem. But that time, I got a box saying:

"Excel cannot access 'Daily Reports". The document may be read-only or encrypted."

Trouble is, there's no document anywhere on my computer or on the Common Drive (Network) called 'Daily Reports'; there IS a folder by that name, though.

Well, I click OK in that box and then get another box that says:

"'Daily Reports' cannot be accessed. The file may be corrupted, located on a server that is not responding, or read-only."

I click OK on that and then the document I was trying to open (which is NOT called 'Daily Reports') opens up fine.

If I already have Excel open, the problem doesn't happen. But anytime Excel is not currently open, no matter what workbook I try to open - or just opening Excel at all - causes the exact same errors, always referring to 'Daily Reports', even if the workbook I'm trying to open is not located in the 'Daily Reports' folder. For example, if I have a workbook saved only on my desktop and go to open it, Excel gives me the error messages and, once I've clicked OK on each of the messages, it opens fine. Once Excel itself is open, I can open anything with no troubles, but if I close Excel and then later go to open a workbook, I get to see the errors again.

The path to the 'Daily Reports' is: Computer>common$(ID info)>Imports>Daily Reports.

I've googled for hours and searched this site, but can't find any answers. Anybody know what's up &/or how to make it stop? I mean, it only takes a few seconds, but it's just annoying.

Thanks

Jenny

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back