Access / Combo Box / Bound

kparadise

Board Regular
I am going nuts,

I am building a table [Issues].
I have another table [Root Causes].

[Root Causes] has 4 fields, a [ID], [Level 1], [Level 2], [Level 3].

In my [Issue] table, I am wanting to create a field [Root Cause] field to be a drop down box to select from table [Root Causes]. In the ComboBox I want column 1 to be [Root Causes].[ID]. In the ComboBox I want column 2 to be "[Level 1] | [Level 2] | [Level 3]".

Once those two columns are created, this is how I want the [Issues] table to operate... Once in the Root Cause field in the Issues table, I show select the drop down, and I want to see Both Columns (1 and 2). BUT WHEN I CHOOSE A SELECTION, I ONLY WANT TO SEE COLUMN 2 ("[Level 1] | [Level 2] | [Level 3]") APPEAR IN THE TABLE.

HOW DO I DO THIS?

Currently in the [Issues] table, I have the Row Source set to: SELECT [Root_Causes].[ID], [Root_Causes]![Level 1] & " | " & [Root_Causes]![Level 2] & " | " & [Root_Causes]![Level 3] AS RootCause FROM [Root_Causes] ORDER BY [Root_Causes].[ID];

This does in fact allow me to see both column that I want. I just cannot figure out how to see both in the drop down, then only column 2 when a selection is made.

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Your terminology is confusing to me. I cannot figure out what you're even trying to do because you say you are using combo boxes, which are form controls, in a table.
You say you have a table with a row source. I think none of what you're saying is even possible - unless you are talking about a form. But you could be involving lookup fields in a table (which look like combo boxes) but don't display multiple columns AFAIK. It would help if you could clarify & maybe use correct terminology (assuming you are not).

If they are in fact tables, I advise you to give up on the idea of trying to tie lookup fields together.
I just cannot figure out how to see both in the drop down, then only column 2 when a selection is made.
If it's a form, I believe your only option would be to re-arrange the order of the query fiels in the row source so that the one you want to see is the first one you make visible. AFAIK, Access makes the first visible column the one that will be displayed. If there's code that could alter the visible columns after an update, I've never seen it done. Far easier to work with the program the way it was meant to rather than re-jig stuff that's inherent in its design.

Upvote 0
I figured out, Access does not allow that. So I just added to my query to include the additional column, then set the lengths to 0"; 4".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back