Conditional Formatting Based on Selected Drop-Down

mayzelleh

I'm looking to enhance my conditional formatting to highlight the cell in column C if the content is not an option from the drop-down fields specific to another cell. My spreadsheet has two columns with different drop-down fields. Column B is the subject and column C is the Type, below is an example of the lists setup. Column C drop-down is based on what's entered into column B.

Right now I have the following format values. However, as long as the text is listed in the types formatting is not affected. I'd like it to change if the content does not match the list specifically to the subject options.

=AND(NOT(ISBLANK(B8)),ISERROR(MATCH(B8,projectID,0)))
=AND(NOT(ISBLANK(C8)),ISERROR(MATCH(C8,taskID,0)))

Subject Column B
Type Column C
Audit
Deposits
Audit
Other
Meeting
Other
Training
Deposits
Training
Leadership

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Can you give more information? Highlight what you need and make an example drop down field please.

Upvote 0
There are a number of team members that use the same template that is eventually combined to analyze where everyone is spending their time working. The idea is to try and have all users use similar terminology so analyzing the data is much easier. The subject (column B) line requires that one of the drop downs be selected where as the type (column C) will allow the user to type something other than what's available in the drop-down. There may be duplicate Types as the list is based on the subject.

For instance, if the following was in the spreadsheet Trust would be highlighted since it's not an option in the drop-down for the Audit subject and Other would be highlighted next to Training as that's not in the Training drop-down.
Column BColumn C
SubjectType
AuditOther
AuditTrust
MeetingOther
TrainingOther

<tbody>
</tbody>

If there's a way to upload my template, just guide me through the process and you can look at the actual spreadsheet.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syzer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back