Create Excel shape from MapInfo *OR* make picture background transparent?

Hi all.

Further to an original thread (http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335897), I have a question regarding shapes and images in Excel.

Basically, I'm trying to make a map of 14 regions where each region changes brightness depending on values in the worksheets. I think I've got this bit sorted. I'm planning on creating the map using a collection of tessellated shapes or images, and using VBA to alter the properties of each one to create a dynamic map.

The output of the individual maps from MapInfo, our GIS software, is in .png or .jpg. format, and come with a white background. Is there any way to either make the background transparent so multiple shapes can be tessellated effectively, or a way to crop the image to the area's border?

Either that, or does someone know a way to output from MapInfo in such a way to make this possible? (Granted, it's a long shot, but you can't blame a guy for trying...)

Any help would be immensely appreciated. Sorry if I've not explained it well, but hopefully you'll get the drift. :)

Thanks,
CSBBB.

Oh, that's a shame. I can assure you it works a treat on Excel 2007! ;)

Andrew Poulsom was very helpful in helping me reach this point on my original post, http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335897, so my suggestion would be to post to that thread and we may well have some luck (and save us getting too off topic)!

Sorry, I didn't know that would happen as everyone in our office now has the newer (and imo rubbisher) Excel 2007 installed!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
i was playing about with it, and i just ungrouped the map pieces (after first moving the black outline picture that was on top) and it started working! :LOL:

so i dont know why if they are grouped it doesnt work, but it is now working very nicely.

i wonder where i can get continent / country maps from.... hmmm any ideas?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Subhash Chand

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back