Data Validation ???!!!!

Nuyorican

Board Regular
Good Afternoon Everyone,

I've bee doing these forever, I don't think I have been confronted with this before. In any event, I created a list for a drop down list, dollar amounts. I format the list as currency, with 2 decimals; the list shows complete. I go to the cell to apply the data validation, that cell is already formatted for currency also. I apply the "list" to the cell, drag it down, and when I choose a dollar amount from the list; I get an error and my dollar amount shows without the "$", which is not mandatory, but every choice from the drop down list is an error..."this number is stored as text". I have formatted that column as currency, but I still get the same result. ??? Thank you.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Hi,

For you DV list Source, do Not format as "Text", format as either "General", or if you want 2 decimals, "Number", or if you want 2 decimals With the $ sign, "Currency"

Format your drop down cells as "Currency" with 2 decimals.

Edit: If you had Text values in your DV Source list, ensure the list cells are Not formatted Text, Re-Enter the values in the list.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did you Re-Enter the values in the DV Source List After confirming the cells are Not formatted Text ?

Upvote 0
Then you'll have to Up-load a sample file for us to see what's causing your problem.

Upload to a Free-file host like Dropbox, and post the link here.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back