Dynamic field

Tonyd789

Board Regular
Hello all i'm hoping someone with the skills much greater than mine can figure this out for me.

I have a rather large spreadsheet and in column A i have an incriminating reference number going all the way down to row 2000, Column A has been used as a drop down list on another tab. But the list displays for all 2000 and currently the spreadsheet is filled in to around row 700ish.

What i would like is a dynamic field to look at column B and it if is not empty then the drop down list populated from column A will include from the top to where Column B is filled in.

I hope that makes sense?!

Regards T

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Define a name that refers to:

=Sheet1!$A$1:INDEX(Sheet1!$A:$A,COUNTA(Sheet1!$B:$B))

changing the sheet name as required, then use that name as the source for the data validation.

Upvote 0
Hi Thanks for the fast response its not working this is the formula i have put in

=LOG!$A$3:INDEX(LOG!$A:$A,COUNTA(LOG!$B:$B))

I what it to stat from row 3, The defined name is Ref_Num however drop down list pulls in all populated cells in column A.

Any further advice?

Upvote 0
Then I suspect the cells in column B are not actually empty. Do they contain formulas, or literal values? (I am assuming you updated the data validation to use the Ref_Num name, rather than whatever it was using before)

Upvote 0
Your suspicions were right i have changed the column to C which is textmy list works now however goes to 696 where the log is filled into 709. Any idea on this?

Upvote 0
Do you have blank cells within the data in column B?

Upvote 0
I have several rows throughout the 796 rows that are no longer populated with info, the earliest one is at 300 odd. Could that be the problem??

Upvote 0
Yes, COUNTA would ignore blank cells, so the count would be off. Does column B contain text or numbers? Or both?

Upvote 0
Also, is there a reason for having all that unused data in column A?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back