Excel Files affected by Malware

aliexcel

Some of my excel Files on Servers have been renamed with the extension .arena.
I tried renaming the files with appropriate extension, however the file remains unreadable. The applications will try to open the file but it says it is corrupted. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
It sounds like you have been hit by ransomware. As far as I know, unless you have backup copies of the files, you are out of luck.

Upvote 0

http://www.myantispyware.com/2017/08/28/remove-arena-virus-restore-chivasaolonline-top-arena-files/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/new-arena-crysis-ransomware-variant-released/

.arena ransomware apparently is very new. There is not alot to find on the NET regarding the virus. :(

As Rory has indicated it seems like having backups of your files is the only way to protect yourself from losing data. Cleaning your server/s is a high priority to get rid of the virus.
I found where Kapersky seems to have an edge on protection .... if you trust Kapersky with all the recent negative press they have received.

I have always opted for IOBIT products - the freeware versions. They all do a very good job of protecting my personal machine. I'm certain there are other brands that work as well.

Upvote 0
Don't have the very recent back up......

We will see if we can build from the old

Anyway thanks for the Inputs.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mm424

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back