Excel opens second window (not personal.xlsb)

Vinnyirl

I have a new laptop with Win10 and Office Standard 2013 installed. Frequently when I open excel from the desktop link or when opening a file it will open 2 windows, 1 is the normal window and the other is a greyed out window without a ribbon or status bar. The second window will flicker if I move the main window and it will appear in front of the main window if excel displays any prompts such as windows or even the help text that displays when entering a formula.

I have tried reinstalling office and repairing office but neither options help. I know the personal.xlsb can be unhidden and cause a similar issue but I have checked and this is not this issue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, this is driving me up the walls

s9JnS2jEmm9Rjjjt5
97l8Ze2V8gshO3djITnhpzUksAU8SGqkxa81ORwj2rQyzqIlnmjyOMUxJfx5swbrgStQ4i1CxV_DnYnWgOlYlY1u-slwqm-bnI1Df0iI5EgkKzPUA8yez0NFrIHKcTCrbU_5zGFy2-a1OCLUUkHkxZlkNrY6sxPai99T0GJXsVN3dsKhyQq3lH1ImqigUBjfEGAyNlv84SrgPKkcwucSfnNQETlN1GBl-pdszW4TSbBKs5djEPQQzhHcaC7RKiNyjLy_12ZCPE0oVy6cZKemnFQ87P1mYFRF6cfyKIuDl7Qk-vIQi7UPqoiJXBE8eaxnZ1v0f330HZaFLVMmGUG4NaHCKvsyVHD7NKGdytDajOQeG20xgxq9M3ncUQZjknkt1-TuXPFVZDZSS6sTz-_TKynVbgZMYrbgGWN-CyOWcA03I0OiLKmTTRDl42wsAH7zFRF15KHk7yf4WYPapkBy7uKbcXG3s5VFYazRguMriNnQr7Q2BTmEXuNgd41dx1SvW4XhvMn-xyFR0gx34y0C7snGYaPXgef3PtFQlxu5UbnmXrtqM2rFiVoTaDOuyvyfd6nqmHfnaIDmy1oFEsGeJztUYpzJfGTQdQKbuIkPKD-pnjSiSd_o=w1026-h753-no

s9JnS2jEmm9Rjjjt5

s9JnS2jEmm9Rjjjt5

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
You can check to see if anything is in your XLSTART folder. The path to the start folder can be found with this command in the VB editor immediate window:
Code:
?application.StartupPath

Upvote 0
@thisoldman
I checked the XLSTART folder and it does have PERSONAL.XLSB in it but I get the same blank window after I remove PERSONAL.XLSB from the folder. Thanks for the suggestion.

Upvote 0
I've had this with Excel 2010. It was always when I had Word open. I seem to remember it was caused by a dialog box opening but I couldn't see it or click on anything to close it. The only remedy was to close Word down.

If you haven't got Word open, I can't help alas.

Upvote 0
@Johnny C
I tried with nothing else open only excel and I still get the same issue.

I am starting to think this is an issue with my setup and how Nvidia Quadro handles dual monitors. The second screen does not appear when I am using the laptop on its own, it only happenes when connected to the two screens on the dock.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back