Extracting the correct email address

SandsFoy

Hi All,

I have a report where I have a customers surname in column B, and then four different email addresses are entered in columns K, L, M and/or M. During a booking journey the same email address can be put into each column, and more than one email address can be put into a column by splitting it with a ";".

=IF(ISERROR(SEARCH($B1,K1)),IF(ISERROR(SEARCH($B1,L1)),IF(ISERROR(SEARCH($B1,M1)),IF(ISERROR(SEARCH($B1,N1)),"",N1),M1),L1),K1)

I have developed this formula to extract all the data from cell if it find the customers surname in that cell. I have then been able to identify if there is more than 1 email address in that cell returned with the below.

=LEN(K2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(K2,"@",""))

In a cell I can have Alan.smith@test.com;mona.lively@test.com - the surname is Smith. So I can extract the contents of the cell based on the formula finding Smith, and I can identify there are two emails addresses present (because there are 2 @ symbols).

The next step is for the formaula to only display the alan.smith@test.com - and nothing else. I'm sure this is possible, but I can't wrap my head around it.

Can anyone help?
Thanks,

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Different approach
Using Helpers (Not really Helpers but cells at each stage of the process)

1. Concatenate all the email addresses, separate them by a semi colon
in O1
=K1&";"&L1&";"&M1&";"&N1

2. Find the surname in the concatenated emails
in O2
=SEARCH(B1,K1&";"&L1&";"&M1&";"&N1)

3. Find how many semi colons occur before that position and add 1
in O3
=LEN(LEFT(O2,O3))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(O2,O3),";",""))+1
This will give you the nth email address to extract

4. Use that nth number in this formula to extract the email address
=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE($O1,";",REPT(" ",LEN($O1))),(O3*(LEN($O1))-LEN($O1))+1,LEN($O1)))

or you could just do this without helpers

=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(K1&";"&L1&";"&M1&";"&N1,";",REPT(" ",LEN(K1&";"&L1&";"&M1&";"&N1))),((LEN(LEFT(K1&";"&L1&";"&M1&";"&N1,SEARCH(B1,K1&";"&L1&";"&M1&";"&N1)))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(K1&";"&L1&";"&M1&";"&N1,SEARCH(B1,K1&";"&L1&";"&M1&";"&N1)),";",""))+1)*(LEN(K1&";"&L1&";"&M1&";"&N1))-LEN(K1&";"&L1&";"&M1&";"&N1))+1,LEN(K1&";"&L1&";"&M1&";"&N1)))

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
againofsoul

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back