How do I predict the future? Stats people needed.

Ziggy12

HI
I have a series of 5 totals for each year, the slope function over the 5 totals returns 57.6

How do I apply the slope to a subset of the totals
The total are 2106, 2008, 2147,2288. slope = 57.6

My subset is
131,158,138,132,547. I want to predict the next number ignoring the first 3 because something changed in the subset but the over all totals haven't I can expect the same pattern in the subset as the totals.

Maybe there is some other way of doing this?

Any stats people out there?

cheers
Ziggy12

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Hi Ziggy,

Not sure if I understood your request correctly - if we take your original dataset (131,158,138,132,547) and ignore the first 3 values, we're going to end up with only 2 values: 132,547. Is that what you want to analyse?

One approach might be to use =SLOPE function (assuming that your function is linear), with the result of 415. It means that your next value should equal 962 (547+415).
Another solution might be to use one of =FORECAST() or =GROWTH() function. =FORECAST is used for linear functions, =GROWTH should be applied for exponential models.
=FORECAST() will also give you a result of 962
=GROWTH(), on the other hand, will show the value of 2266.735

Does it help?

P.S. On a side note, it looks like your slope of 57.6 is calculated for the following 5 values: 2106, 2008, 2147, 2288, 2254 (the last value was missing from your post).

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying.
I want to predict the next number in my subset based on the slope of the main dataset. I think my subset will now grow at the same rate as the main dataset.
I can't predict off the subset dataset as the jump to 547 won't be repeated and now 547 is the new start point norm.

Hope that makes sense.

cheers
Ziggy

Upvote 0
Hi Ziggy,

Sorry if I'm missing something here. If you assume that your subset will now grow at the same rate as the main dataset (i.e. slope = 57.6), cannot you simply add the slope value to the latest value of your subset (i.e. 547 + 57.6) in order to predict the next future value? After you obtain the new "actual" value, you can re-calculate your slope and adjust your forecast values (this is all assuming that your dataset is based on a linear function).

Hopefully someone else on the forum will also provide some additional input.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyko

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back