How to modify the load behaviour of Excel 2010 add-in (e.g. flexfind)

wormaji

I'm using Microsoft Excel 2010 and had a few useful add-ins like flex find installed.
https://www.jkp-ads.com/officemarketplaceff-en.asp.However, I do not use these add-ins frequently.
Since it seems that Microsoft excel 2010 loads, these add-ins at start-up and it significantly increases the delay in starting up, I was hoping to make these load only when I need them.

The documentation in Microsoft at https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/291392/excel-com-add-ins-and-automation-add-ins says that the load behaviour can be modified by going into the registry.

However, when I go into the same path in the registry, I do not find any mention of these add-ins. Also, another issue is that whenever I wanted to use these add-ins, I had to specifically go and load them manually myself. At the same time, during starting up, I clearly see a message in the splash window stating that these add-ins are being loaded.

So how do I avoid add-ins being loaded at start-up.. (And at the same time, as I stated, it seems that add-ins are really not being loaded because I have to manually load them when I need to use)

Thank you for any inputs

Yongle

This works for me

At end of day or when you no longer need to use ...
To Unload AddIn
Code:
AddIns("Name of AddIn").Installed = False
To Load AddIn when required
Code:
AddIns("Name of AddIn").Installed = True

Last edited:

RoryA

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Flex find is not a COM add-in so you don't need the registry, you can just use the Add-ins dialog to load/unload them.

wormaji

Thank you for your responses.

@RoryA, Thank you for explaining the difference between the C OM and other add-ins. I used to wonder why am not able to start using Flex find immediately after starting Microsoft Excel 2010. Now I understand.

However, now the problem that I see is that even though the add-ins are actually not being loaded, I see them being mentioned in the splash screen of Microsoft Excel. When it is starting up stating that these add-ins are being loaded. And it spends quite a bit of time on loading these add-ins. It is almost 2 minutes that it takes to load the add-ins that are actually not COM.

Is this expected behaviour or is there anything that I can do to prevent the loading of add-ins on starting up of Microsoft Excel?

Thank you for any inputs

RoryA

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
You just use the add-ins dialog, as I mentioned, to disable or enable regular add-ins.

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• Get External Data (long shot question!)
    This is likely a long shot but I am wondering if it is at all possible for Excel to somehow 'change' the contents of a URL that is being linked to...
  • Importing multiple excel files into one spreadsheet
    Hi, I'm trying to import multiple excel files (with the same format into a single spreadsheet) so that each day's file is listed underneath the...
  • Cell Formatting
    Good Morning, I need to format a few different cells in the following manners: A1 has to always add a colon (:) after whatever is typed in by a...
  • How to copy multiple rows using If
    Hi all, I'm very new to VBA and have written this simple code to copy certain cells if a certain cell within that row contains any data. I need...
  • Workbook_Change stopped working !
    I am working on an app to speed up & automate processing of Credit Cards statements. After data is input from a CSV file, it is presented to the...
  • VBA If statement
    Dear All, I have two dates, where I'd like a message box to pop, if the dates are between this criteria. [CODE] sDate1 = #10/1/2019#...