How to transpose multiple rows of an array into a single column & preserve order of values

tavajava

Hi all,

I hope someone can help, I'm at my wits end! have a large data set that represents births by age of the mother for each county. Mother's age is represented on my x axis, the county code on my y axis, and the birth counts for each age are reflected in a single row for each county.

I am trying to convert the rows into a single column while preserving the order in which the values are entered. For example:

15 years old 16 years old 17 years old 18 years old
Alcona County 3 7 8 9
Berrien County 1 0 4 11

Would be transposed as:

I really don't want to copy/past, because I have many years worth of datasets I have to do this to and it will be time consuming (not to mention more prone to human error).

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!!!

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
try the following macro on a copy of your workbook, it should insert a sheet named transposed and transpose as per your needs.

Please amend the code in red to be whatever your sheet name is that your data set is stored on.

Code:
[COLOR=#0000ff]Option Explicit[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#0000ff]Sub[/COLOR] Tavajava()

[COLOR=#0000ff]Dim[/COLOR] Cnt [COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR] Long, LastCol [COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR] Integer, data [COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR] Worksheet

[COLOR=#0000ff]Set[/COLOR] data = Sheets("[B][COLOR=#ff0000]Sheet2[/COLOR][/B]") [COLOR=#008000]'change Sheet2 for whatever your data set sheet name is[/COLOR]

LastCol = data.Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column - 2

Application.DisplayAlerts = [COLOR=#0000ff]False[/COLOR] [COLOR=#008000]'stop alert about deleting transpose sheet[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]On Error Resume Next[/COLOR] [COLOR=#008000]'stop excel kicking off it Transposed doesn't exist[/COLOR]
Sheets("Transposed").Delete [COLOR=#008000]'if it does then delete it[/COLOR]
Application.DisplayAlerts = [COLOR=#0000ff]True[/COLOR] [COLOR=#008000]'turn alerts back on[/COLOR]

Sheets.Add after:=ActiveSheet [COLOR=#008000]'add a new sheet[/COLOR]
ActiveSheet.Name = "Transposed" [COLOR=#008000]'name the new Sheet Transposed[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#008000]'loop through the range transposing to new sheet[/COLOR]
   [COLOR=#0000ff]For[/COLOR] Cnt = 2 [COLOR=#0000ff]To[/COLOR] data.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
      [COLOR=#0000ff]With[/COLOR] Sheets("Transposed").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)
         .Offset(1).Value = data.Range("B" & Cnt).Value
         .Offset(2).Resize(LastCol).Value = Application.Transpose(data.Range("C" & Cnt).Resize(, LastCol))
      [COLOR=#0000ff]End With[/COLOR]
   [COLOR=#0000ff]Next[/COLOR] Cnt

[COLOR=#0000ff]End Sub[/COLOR]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back