Kiwi den

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a sheet that i want to import data to (sheet1 B2) this data is seperated by a comma i want to seperate and create it listed in a single column on (sheet 2 B2, B3, B4 etc)
can someone please help with a formula
thanks in advance

Here is the Mcode for a Power Query Solution.
Code:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(Source, "Column1", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Column1.1", "Column1.2", "Column1.3", "Column1.4", "Column1.5", "Column1.6"}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Split Column by Delimiter", {}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Unpivoted Columns",{"Attribute"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

vA
1Value
2 Bob
3 Carl
4 Kevin
5 Bill
6 Olly
7 Steve

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
have tried formatting cell as general, with no luck
That was only part of the suggestion. Did you do the final part too (with that same formula cell still selected)?

Select A2 and format it to General then press F2 followed by Enter to re-confirm the formula & then copy down.

If formulas are still displayed after that then perhaps you have this worksheet set to display formulas rather than their results. Exact instructions may differ for different Excel versions but try following these steps
File ribbon tab -> Options -> Advanced -> Scroll down to 'Display options for this worksheet and ensure 'Show formulas in cells instead of their calculated results' is not checked. (Keyboard shortcut for toggling this setting is Ctrl+`

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have tried this with no avail... it keeps coming up with error with the section A$1, =iferror(trim(mid(substitute(substituteA$1"",""),",",rept("",100)),rows(a$2:a2)*100-99,100)),"")

Upvote 0
- Did you originally copy and paste my formula from the forum or did you re-type it yourself? Re-typing often results in errors.

- Can you confirm that with your version of Excel, the normal separator in formulas is a comma (,) not a semi-colon (;)?

If still the problem, can you make a simple dummy file that has this problem and put the formula into A2 with an "x" before the = sign (so Excel stops trying to interpret it as a formula) and upload that file to Dropbox/OneDrive/Google Drive or similar, share it & and provide us with a link?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I copied and paste the formula
the version of excel is Office professional plus 2016

Upvote 0
I copied and paste the formula
the version of excel is Office professional plus 2016
So that still leaves ..

- Can you confirm that with your version of Excel, the normal separator in formulas is a comma (,) not a semi-colon (;)?

If still the problem, can you make a simple dummy file that has this problem and put the formula into A2 with an "x" before the = sign (so Excel stops trying to interpret it as a formula) and upload that file to Dropbox/OneDrive/Google Drive or similar, share it & and provide us with a link?

Upvote 0
I will provide link asap
OK.
In the interim, if you have not already done so, try setting up a brand new workbook with just that one example as in post 7 and see if you get the same problem in a fresh workbook.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back