INDEX formula not working when transferred to Google Sheets

Drew_

Board Regular
Hi all.

I've had great success on here and I didn't know where else to ask. I have a simple formula that works great in Excel but when I transfer the document to Google Sheets so I can share it, I get the following message:

=IF($E$6:$E$27=1,(INDEX($F$6:$F$27,0,1)),"-") returns #REF!: Array result was not expanded because it would overwrite data in G8.

I've tried INDEX and MATCH and I get answers, but not the correct ones. Essentially, all I want to say is "If anything in the E column equals 1, give me the value for the same row in the G column". I'm sure there's a workaround, just not positive what it is. Thanks

Okay, I formatted it as a number and I put the formula in C2:C61 and it returned 1 for every cell. I think because there are formulas in cells B2:B61. Those formulas are:

=IF(INDIRECT(F1&"!B2")="-","",INDIRECT(F1&"!B2"))

When I took out the IF part of the formula, it returned: - and your formula still returned 1

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Then how does your original formula work in Excel using the same subtotal ?

Maybe I've misunderstood your purpose of using subtotal in the original formula.
Is that meant to make the formula not count rows that are hidden ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes. So the INDIRECT formula will return text values and when I filter the column, a normal SUBTOTAL function will return a negative number (i.e. there's 2 entries and I filter it to just 1, I get -57). The SUBTOTAL is counting all the blank cells when I filter the column and I don't want it to do that. I only want it count the visible cells.

Upvote 0
Ok, so the original formula actually does NOT work in Excel, you had said it works great in Excel. I was working on that assumption.

You need to make the subtotal function refer to a column that does not use formula, but will always be populated in the rows you want to count.

Upvote 0
I can send you my Excel file if you want to see, it does work. Couldn't tell you how, but it does :p

Okay I will create another column and do it that way, I'll let you know what I come up with. Thanks for your help

Upvote 0
You just said it doesn't work the way you want it to
The SUBTOTAL is counting all the blank cells when I filter the column and I don't want it to do that.

And why are you sticking your toung out at me?

Upvote 0
Yes, I was saying the SUBTOTAL function does not work in Google Sheets but that it works fine in Excel. I was making fun of myself with the tongue thing.

I put the following formula in the C2 and copied it down: =IF(B2="","",1) and then in B62 I put: =SUBTOTAL(109,C2:C61) and it works great when I filter the B column. Thank you for your suggestions and help

Upvote 0
You're welcome.

But I think I see my mistake..

the countifs would be this, assuming the values in B are expected to be text strings, not numbers
=COUNTIFS($C$2:$C$61,1,$B$2:$B$61,"?*")

And don't use =SUBTOTAL(109,C2:C61)
The subtotal should go in a helper column, say C2
=SUBTOTAL(103,B2)
And fill down.

Upvote 0
Example

Unknown
BCDEF
1HeaderHeader2Header37
2a1a
3b1b
4c1c
6d1d
7e1e
10f1f
11g1g
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F1=COUNTIFS($C$2:$C$61,1,$B$2:$B$61,"?*")
B2=IF(D2="","",D2)
B3=IF(D3="","",D3)
C2=SUBTOTAL(103,B2)
C3=SUBTOTAL(103,B3)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spvclub

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back