INDEX formula not working when transferred to Google Sheets

Drew_

Board Regular
Hi all.

I've had great success on here and I didn't know where else to ask. I have a simple formula that works great in Excel but when I transfer the document to Google Sheets so I can share it, I get the following message:

=IF($E$6:$E$27=1,(INDEX($F$6:$F$27,0,1)),"-") returns #REF!: Array result was not expanded because it would overwrite data in G8.

I've tried INDEX and MATCH and I get answers, but not the correct ones. Essentially, all I want to say is "If anything in the E column equals 1, give me the value for the same row in the G column". I'm sure there's a workaround, just not positive what it is. Thanks

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Essentially, all I want to say is "If anything in the E column equals 1, give me the value for the same row in the G column". I'm sure there's a workaround, just not positive what it is. Thanks

You need a different formula.

Try
=IF(COUNTIF($E$6:$E$27,1),INDEX($G$6:$G$27,MATCH(1,$E$6:$E$27,0)),"-")

M.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately that formula does not work either. This is what my 2 columns look like:

<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>
GIRPutts

<colgroup><col style="width: 98px"><col width="98"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

GIR is in the E column and Putts is in the F column. My formula is in the G column, and I wanna know "every time the E column says 1, give me the number in the F column". Your formula returned 2 for every cell, not sure why

Upvote 0
That seems way overcomplicated for such a simple task.

Wouldn't you just use

=IF(E6=1,F6,"-")

Unknown
EFG
5GIRPutts
81-
102-
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G6=IF(E6=1,F6,"-")
G7=IF(E7=1,F7,"-")
G8=IF(E8=1,F8,"-")
G9=IF(E9=1,F9,"-")
G10=IF(E10=1,F10,"-")
G11=IF(E11=1,F11,"-")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lol yep, that works. I guess when we create convoluted and massive spreadsheets sometimes we think we need complicated formulas for everything. Back to the fundamentals, thanks Jonmo

Upvote 0
You're welcome.

For what it's worth, I think in google sheets to do an array formula, it actually has a funciton called ArrayFormula instead of pressing CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER

=ArrayFormula(.....)

Upvote 0
Okay I have another question now. I am trying to SUBTOTAL a column that has formulas in it that will populate with text when entries are made. The column has 60 rows, and they are all empty as of now. My formula works great in Excel:

=SUMPRODUCT(SUBTOTAL(103,OFFSET($B$2,ROW($B$2:$B$61)-ROW($B$2),0)),1-($B$2:$B$61=""))

But again, when I put it in Google sheets it tells me the following error:

SUMPRODUCT has mismatched range sizes. Expected row count: 1. column count: 1. Actual row count: 60, column count: 1.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Put the Subtotal in it's own column, and use plain old countifs

In say C2 and filled to C61
=SUBTOTAL(103,B2)

Then use
=COUNTIFS($C$2:$C$61,1,$B$2:$B$61,"<>")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think I see what you mean, so I inserted another column and in C2 I typed in =SUBTOTAL(103,B2) and it returned: 12/31/1899. I have NO idea how it got that, considering B2 is empty. Basically I just want the SUBTOTAL to work when I filter the column, I would use the AGGREGATE function but it does not work in Google Sheets.

Upvote 0
Blanks are considered 0
12/31/1899 is 0 formatted as a date.
Format the cell you put the subtotal in as a number instead of a date.

The formula will only return either a 1 or 0.
0 if it's blank or hidden, 1 if it's not blank AND not hidden.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandan4057

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back