Issues with a Pivot Table that has us stumped :(

Vladski888

Hey Guys, We have been using Excel for at least a decade now and would not consider ourselves to be beginners buttttt we have come across something that has had us stumped for a few days and were hoping to reach out to the true experts for advice. Basically, we need to create a simple Pivot Table that we have done in the past on previous Excel versions but does not seem to be working now. We have Four Categories (Category A, Category B, Category C, Category D) - that are represented in a single Column in the Data Source.We have Users at Row level (a few hundred of them) We have about 15 Columns with a number punch from 1-5. We would like to visualize the categories across the top in the pivot table We would like the count on Users as the Values And we would like the columns each to have a row and stacked on top of each other - without interlocking between each other with of course a total at the very bottom. The issue we face when we do this is that the columns get interlocked with each other and we can not get them to be independent of each other. We have tried going through every single tutorial we could find to fix the settings by adjusting the Report Layout, going to Classic Pivot Table and anything else we could find. But unfortunately have failed.If anyone could help us out it would be greatlyyyyyy appreciated!!!!!!!

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Im really sorry as I think I'm not starting on the best foot with the shameless bump but is there any chance one of the Excel Gurus would be able to help me out as Im under a bit of pressure to get this done?

Upvote 0
Vladski888,

Welcome to the Board.

It would help us help you if you post your source data (or at least a sample)...

By the way, did you try the Tabular Form for the Report Layout?

Cheers,

tonyyy

p.s. I'm not one of the "true experts," but have created my share of PivotTables.

Upvote 0
Hi Tony,

I sure did but didnt work. I really appreciate your assistance in advance!

Here is the Raw Data:

UsersCategories Selection 1Selection 2 Selection 3Selection 4Selection 5Selection 6Selection 7Selection 8Selection 9Selection 10
User 1 Category A4343434343
User 2Category A4444444444
User 3Category C5353535353
User 4Category B 4444444444
User 5 Category D4444444444
User 6 Category A4343434343
User 7Category A4444444444
User 8Category C5353535353
User 9Category B 4444444444
User 10 Category D4444444444

<colgroup><col width="48" style="width:36pt"> <col width="76" style="width:57pt"> <col width="75" style="width:56pt"> <col width="99" style="width:74pt"> <col width="91" style="width:68pt"> <col width="101" style="width:76pt"> <col width="89" style="width:67pt" span="4"> <col width="79" style="width:59pt"> <col width="64" style="width:48pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
Here is what comes out:
Count of UsersCategories
Selection 1Selection 2Selection 1 2Category ACategory B Category CCategory DGrand Total
3 Total22
4 Total2226
4 Total4228
3 Total22
5 Total22
Grand Total422210

<colgroup><col><col><col><col span="4"><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Here is what I would need it to look like:

Category ACategory BCategory CCategory D
Selection 1
Selection 2
Selection 3
Selection 4
Selection 5
Selection 6
Selection 7
Selection 8
Selection 9
Selection 10
Total

<colgroup><col width="99" style="width:74pt"> <col width="91" style="width:68pt"> <col width="101" style="width:76pt"> <col width="89" style="width:67pt" span="2"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
So... not sure if this will achieve the layout/results you're after, but you might try...

1. Drag the Categories field to the Column Labels area
2. Drag the Selection 1 field to the Values area
3. Drag the Selection 2 field to the Values area
4. A new field will pop in - a sum value field - drag it to the Row Labels area
5. Continue dragging the remaining Selections to the Values area

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sousanna Aristiadou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back