Lookup Function updating inconsistently despite Auto Update of Calc and S/C/A/F9

Svandyke

I have a spreadsheet we use to track starting balance, current balance, and possible discounts. The cell with my function should show the right most value, ignoring zeros, but anything in the Final column (including zero) should be returned. This allows us to play with discounts so there is a formula in those cells, and if a final number is entered, then that overrides anything else. Here is my function (resides in column D): =IF(M14="",(LOOKUP(2,1/(G14:L14<>0),G14:L14)),M14)

It all works fine and dandy, some of the time. My issue is that you can enter a value in the discount cell, and the calculated value should show up in D (a reflection of the calculated amount in column I) but sometimes it doesn't. And it's not consistent. I've been playing with adjusting the percent value, and some of the cells in D will update and some won't. The value in Column G seems to be the one most "liked", and the values in column I, not so much. If a value goes in M, it is faithfully returned.

I have calculations set to update automatically, and I've tried Ctrl/Alt/Shift/F9, and I can actually watch the values change in column D if I do it several times. Of course, if I click into the function window and hit enter, it's perfect, but change my discount amount, and it gets wonky again. I can not figure out a pattern.

I would love some insight to the Lookup function, and if there are alternatives to it, or something else that may be contributing to the issue. I have many rows, so manually clicking in each one is not my favorite solution!

Thank you so much you big brained gods and goddesses. This account is just a year old, but this has been a great resource for me for many, many years!

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
And Enable Iterative Calculation is not enabled in File/Options/Formulas?

If not, can you post one or two examples of the data you have, perhaps for one case for which it works as desired and another for which it doesn't?

Regards

Upvote 0
Iterative Calculations is not enabled. The behavior is in any copy of the spreadsheet, which is created from a template. I wish I had a case where updating the discount worked consistently. I can't really demonstrate the behavior in a screenshot, but am happy to send the file. Willing to engage in a contract if necessary!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back