Mail Merge Question and Confusion

bushidowarrior

Board Regular
Hello all.

I have been using mail merge for some time now. However, I think I have been doing something wrong.

You can see this simple table below.

So when I do a mail merge, it take the information horizontally which is perfect.

Here is the issue. The last column is students. I have a LONGS list of students, (First name, last name, ID, title etc. Even more. it is not 1 student. It could be 10+) Further more, it is a list.

Is there a way to have 1 cell. E2 contain a lot of information about all the students, and then in MS words I can see all the individual elements (First name, last name) etc etc)

I hope I have explained it will. What I am trying to avoid is have a horizontal row with hundreds of cells.

So effectively the student cell would be linked somehow to another sheet which would contain all the students details. And every time I add a new student I need not expand the cells to include the new students.

bushidowarrior

Board Regular
Okay I think the image below provides better explanation.

So the top parties one sheet in the bottom part is another. And the only thing that's linking them together is level in the first sheet and group in the second sheet. Labeled as novice and advanced.

So effectively. When I do the mailmerge for role two on the first sheet. It would bring all of the students names and level that have novice

Does that make sense to anyone

bushidowarrior

Board Regular
okay it appears you cannot have two sheets connected to one Microsoft Word mailmerge....

so is there any way to connect these two sheets together and bring all information across?????

bushidowarrior

Board Regular
Okay after doing a bit more research it seems I can only control you to the next cell.

So I have provided an image below with two sheets, that would effectively create the third one. But I'm not quite sure how to go about it....

Macropod

Retired Moderator
Although you're correct that a mailmerge can only use a single worksheet as a data source, when coupled with a DATABASE field, a second worksheet can be brought into play. An outline of this approach can be found at:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_winother-mso_2010/mail-merge-to-a-word-table-on-a-single-page/4edb4654-27e0-47d2-bd5f-8642e46fa103
For a working example, see:
http://www.msofficeforums.com/mail-merge/37844-mail-merge-using-one-excel-file-multiple.html

The DATABASE field can even be used without recourse to a mailmerge. An example of such usage can be found at: http://www.msofficeforums.com/mail-merge/21847-mail-merge-into-different-coloumns.html#post67097

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cortexnotion

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• populate from drop list with multiple tables
    Hi All, i have a drop list that displays data, what i want is when i select one of those from the list to populate text from different tables on...
  • Find list of words from sheet2 in sheet1 before a comma and extract text vba
    Hi Friends, Trying to find the solution on my task. But did not find suitable one to the need. Here is my query and sample file with details...
  • Dynamic Formula entry - VBA code sought
    Hello, really hope one of you experts can help with this - i've spent hours on this and getting no-where. .I have a set of data (more rows than...
  • Listbox Header
    Have a named range called "AccidentsHeader" Within my code I have: [CODE]Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ListBox1.RowSource =...
  • Complex Heat Map using conditional formatting
    Good day excel world. I have a concern. Below link have a list of countries that carries each country unique data. [URL...
  • Conditional formatting
    Hi good morning, hope you can help me please, I have cells P4:P54 and if this cell is equal to 1 then i want row O to say "Fully Utilised" and to...