Search for a value based on an ID, if no value found in a row, skip to another row

8iwasonceatree8

Hey guys,

hope you are all doing well. I have a problem on my hands I simply cant solve. I attached a dropbox link to the file, where you can easily see it. What i am trying to do:

- on sheet 'timeline', i.e. column C: take cell A2, go to sheet 'test' column A and search for the value. If you find it, look for column '2017', if there is a value, put it to 'timeline' C2; if there is no value, search further down the rows column A until you find a value in column '2017', if you run out of rows, keep the cell on 'timeline' empty.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvs9q12z69mtck7/price timeline.xlsx?dl=0

I would be grateful if somebody could direct me what could work in this case. VBA is not out of question, but I try to keep the file for future use, and if somebody, who is not excel or vba savvy takes over, it will probably be painful to maintain.

P.S. if there are easier steps from the very beginning that you think would make this thing a lot easier, i am all ears, i sometimes tend to over-complicate stuff :)

Regards,

Mr. Tree

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back