Sending "Picture Links" behind charts

Charles Crous

Good Day,

This has stumped me. I need help layering a bubble chart over a picture (map), but the thing is the picture is linked with a formula that dynamically changes the map displayed based on a selection.

When it's a normal picture everything is fine I just use Order>Send to Back on the map, but when I tie a formula to the picture, ordering has no effect. What do I do?

Thank you,

C

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Try,
Code:
[FONT="Consolas"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]ActiveSheet.Shapes("[COLOR="Red"][I]Shape Name[/I][/COLOR]").ZOrder (msoSendToBack)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Upvote 0
Thank you Mohammed,

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. Here is the code that I'm using, any thoughts?

Code:
Sub ProvincialMap()
' Changes the provincial map dispalyed based on the province selected on the national map

With Sheets("Dashboard").Shapes("provMap") 'provincial map
        .DrawingObject.Formula = Range("provMapSelection").Value ' create the link to selected map range
        .ZOrder (msoSendToBack)  ' order map behind chart
    End With

Range("A39").Select ' Takes cell selection out of focus

End Sub

Upvote 0
Could you please tell me more about your project and what are you trying to achieve? Please explain the type/values of provMap and provMapSelection.

I could not run the macro and I want to know how to setup the environment to run it.

Upvote 0
By the way, try the other way around
Code:
[FONT="Consolas"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]ActiveSheet.Shapes("[COLOR="Red"][I]Chart Name[/I][/COLOR]").ZOrder (msoBringToFront)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Upvote 0
Sorry for the late reply (life intervenes).

"provMap" is just the name given to the picture that I've attached a formula to. Like using the camera tool, I'm trying to display an image that lies within a certain range on a different sheet, but I want to change the image that is displayed based on a selection.

This is where provMapSelection comes into play. I've created named ranges for the cells behind my different images. And based on a dropdown selecton a value between 1 and 9 is produced. This cell value (in say B1) is called myLastClick. Now in a different cell (say B2), I've used the Choose formula to select from a list of values, so provMapSelection (a named range with the range of B2) =CHOOSE(myLastClick, "ECMap", "FSMap", "GTMap", "KZMap", "MPMap", "NCMap", "NWMap", "LPMap", "WCMap").

So the provMap picture element is assigned the value of provMapSelection, which point to a range specified by a dropdown selection. This working perfectly well, but here's rub - since assigining the picture the value of provMapSelection, the Order ability doesn't want to take and I'm not able to overlay the chart over the picture.

I hope this is clearer.

Upvote 0
Please see this file that I have worked on based on your explanation. I did not encounter any problem regarding changes in pictures order and I did not need any macro to fix any problem.

Hope this will help.

Upvote 0
Excellent job on recreating the scenario. Sorry, I should have provided it to you!

Well, then I'm stumped, because on my side the picture is still in front of the chart, no matter what I do. Could it be a pre-set setting? Are you using Excel 2007 as well?

Thank you for your persistence!

Upvote 0
Yes, the order of provMap should be preset to set Send to Back and this need to be done once. I am using Excel 2010 (almost same as 2007).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back