Sorting a column with all cells in the row moving with the sort.

L84THSKY

Hello

I have a sheet with over a dozen columns and around 200 rows of data. I want to add a sort to one of the columns that will sequence dates oldest to newest. The results should move all of the cells in the row with the sorted column. As in, each row is a record, and I want all the records sorted by the column of interest. Some of the cells use text, others are dates, if that matters.

Thanks
Eric

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
That is how the out-of-the-box Sort works in Excel.
Just select the entire rnage you want to sort (all rows and columns), click the Sort button, and choose the field you want to sort by.

Upvote 0
That is how the out-of-the-box Sort works in Excel.
Just select the entire rnage you want to sort (all rows and columns), click the Sort button, and choose the field you want to sort by.

That worked. Next question.......Can I take that sort, and embed it in the heading of that column, so I can just click on it, and it does what I want?

Thanks

Upvote 0
That worked. Next question.......Can I take that sort, and embed it in the heading of that column, so I can just click on it, and it does what I want?
I am not sure what you mean.
Do you mean that you want to be able to sort again with the push of a button, in case you add/change/delete the data?
That would require VBA code attached to a button.

If that is what you want, and you need help with that, you will need to provide us with important details like:
- which column you are sorting by
- what is the first row of data (and is that always the same)
- is there a title row (and what row that is)

Otherwise, you can just click on the Sort button in the Data menu, and re-sort it. All your settings from your previous sort should still be in there, so you shouldn't need to change anything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am not sure what you mean.
Do you mean that you want to be able to sort again with the push of a button, in case you add/change/delete the data?
That would require VBA code attached to a button.

If that is what you want, and you need help with that, you will need to provide us with important details like:
- which column you are sorting by
- what is the first row of data (and is that always the same)
- is there a title row (and what row that is)

Otherwise, you can just click on the Sort button in the Data menu, and re-sort it. All your settings from your previous sort should still be in there, so you shouldn't need to change anything.

AUwJTsdYZTlPAAAAAElFTkSuQmCCAA==

I like having the Filter drop downs. Can I have a similar button on top of each column to sort by that column. This would be useful for other pages as well. Tried to embed image snapshot, but won't allow.

Thanks
Eric

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like having the Filter drop downs. Can I have a similar button on top of each column to sort by that column. This would be useful for other pages as well. Tried to embed image snapshot, but won't allow.
I know what you are saying with the Filter drop-down look, but Excel does not have that type of functionality built-in for sorting. You would have to create that with VBA. If it was just for one column, it wouldn't be too bad. But, if for multiple columns, it could be a bit cumbersome (you need to manually create a button for each column, and have separate VBA code attached to each one).

If you are looking for some sort of dynamic sorting mechanism, and don't like the built-in sorting menus, then I would probably recommend a different approach. A sorting "control" section at the top, which would consist of a drop-down box of all the columns that can sort by, then another drop-down box to denote Ascending/Descending, and one single "Sort" button.
So they would make selections from each drop-down box and click the Sort button to sort.

Upvote 0
@Joe4 I have a similar question, do i ask here or start a new thread?
Unless your question is a about the question we are already talking about here, it is best to start a new thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back