JonathanEngr

I'm trying to sort and extract data in excel and I'm not sure how/what the best way to do it would be. I will be using VBA for this project.

In summary, I'm trying to create a schedule that populates automatically for the instructors in our division so they can then print and post on their doors showing what time they have classes and office hours. Due to significantly varying levels of computer literacy, relying on the instructors to create their own schedule has been very unsuccessful. Attached to this post you will find the excel spreadsheet that contains the information I have to work with (Sample Schedule.xls). Also, there is a PDF showing a sample of what will be created with this information (Sample Schedule Final.pdf). The link for these files is below:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iax7grj5dq1bztp/AAA23RkJFd2i0-PbpHXL8LJQa?dl=0

I want this to be very, very simple for the end user. I will create a spreadsheet that contains a (hidden) worksheet of the information for our division (the Sample Schedule.xls file). On the primary sheet the instructor will simply choose their instructor ID from a dropdown list, and their courses and times will populate a pre-formatted schedule that runs from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM. It will color code each class differently, as well as include a legend of the classes. I will have a command button they will click to save the schedule as a PDF. I can do all of this, but what I need is help extracting the data for each instructor ID. You can see there are many blanks below each course prefix, number and section. This is what's throwing me off.

Any thoughts, input and/or insights would be greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Re: Help Sorting Data in Excel

This code will fill each blank cell in the selected area with the filled cell data directly above it:

Code:
Sub CopyDataDownIntoSelectedBlanks()
    'For selected range, copy filled-cell data into blank cells below

Dim rngInitialSelect As Range

Set rngInitialSelect = Selection
    Selection.Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).Select
    With Selection
        .FormulaR1C1 = "=INDIRECT(""R[-1]C"",FALSE)"
        Application.Calculate
        Do While Application.CalculationState <> xlDone: DoEvents: Loop
    End With
    With rngInitialSelect
        .Value = .Value
    End With
    Set rngInitialSelect = Nothing

End Sub

You will have to reformat the date columns since the copied dates turn into integers.

Once that is done you can get a list of unique instructors with data and use autofilter to extract data for each instructor in turn.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thanks!!! I actually tinkered around and came up with something that worked (but not nearly as svelte!). The code I used is:

Code:
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

Dim RowNo As Integer

RowNo = 1
For RowNo = 1 To 20
MsgBox RowNo
If Cells((RowNo + 1), 1).Value = "" Then
Cells((RowNo + 1), 1).Value = Cells(RowNo, 1).Value
End If
Next RowNo

End Sub

Other than having to tell it where to stop, are there any drawbacks to the code I used?

Upvote 0

Yes--I only did a snip of the code to show you what I had done. I still consider myself somewhat of a novice at coding, so I like to get opinions on things I do when possible to learn more about coding efficiently, etc. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back