Text in one row auto fills a number of cells

bellmal

I have spent a whole day trying to find an answer to this problem and my head now hurts!:eek:

I have a work expenditure sheet that I fill in and the problem I would like automated is in column B I enter some text Salary, Mileage, Subsistence etc. this then auto fills 2 cells on the same row with the same number but different amounts depending on the item. This would have to run down over 30 odd rows. So Mileage in B3 would populate E3 and J3 with 15.00 then B4 Subsistence would populate D4 and G4 with 10.00 and Salary with 25.00 (not even minimum wage!!!)

I have fond out a lot about VLOOKUP but don't think this will do the job. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
bellmal

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
What do you mean same number but different amounts? Can you give an example of what this looks like versus what you want it to look like?

You can use formulas and set rules in excel, and quickly drag the tiny corner + sign to fill in multiple cells with the formula.

Upvote 0
What do you mean same number but different amounts? Can you give an example of what this looks like versus what you want it to look like?

You can use formulas and set rules in excel, and quickly drag the tiny corner + sign to fill in multiple cells with the formula.

Thanks for showing an interest in my problem.

What I meant was that if I enter Mileage in B2 then this would populate cells E3 and J3 with 15 but if I had entered Salary in B3 it would have filled cells F3 and H3 with 25.

I think I need to create a drop-down list with the various names and which cells to fill and the amounts entered ( I did this once along time ago but then not sure how to transfer that.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back