Trying to create an automated tournament bracket.

Snackem

I'm not new to excel but I've never used it to create a bracket before. I'm trying to create a double elimination bracket with placers to 8th place. I have been using data validation the past few years to give myself a drop down list but I would love it if when a winner is chosen then the loser automatically drops to a specified cell. Is this possible? What kind of formula would I need to look at?

Secondly when I use data validation is it possible to change the amount of blank space? In the first row of matches the contestants are right next to each other, but by the time you reach the finals there is so much white space that you have to scroll up and down to find the names.

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
A1: try a nested if formula...

=IF(B4="","",IF(B4=A4,A3,A4))

if the winner (cell B4) has not been selected, a blank (""), if the winner is same as A4, then return A3, otherwise return A4.

A2: You could use columns that reference the winners of the previous round (right next to each other) and that you evenually hide

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back