Trying to replace specified values in my formula, with a value input in a different cell.

jayboogie

Hello,

What I'm looking to do is the following, I hope someone can help!

In cell A1 I have an RTD formula: =RTD("qst.rtd",,"quote!ls!ESH13")

In Cell B1 I would enter some text, example ESM13

Then, back in cell A1, =RTD("qst.rtd",,"quote!ls!ESH13") would be replaced with =RTD("qst.rtd",,"quote!ls!ESM13")

B1 should be able to be any # of characters, too, I should add. So I should be able to enter in B1 something larger, like: ESM12C1275:1300:1325[BO] and it should replace what's between the ! and the final " of my formula.

Possible?

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Welcome to the Board!

If you want to have a formula reference a range that is denoted in another cell, you can use the INDIRECT function. See: Excel INDIRECT Function Tutorial

If you just want to replace a certain part of a formula with something else, the FIND and REPLACE functionality in Excel will work on formulas.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the response.

This is what I've attempted so far, with no luck(I get #VALUE in B1). I think my skill level is below what it needs to be to accomplish this.

=replace(A1,find("!",A1)5,B1)

Plus I think the 5 in that formula wouldn't work anyways, because it would require whatever is replacing it to be 5 digits long only, right?

How can I alter the FIND function, to find anything/everything between the exclamation point and end quotes in my formula? =RTD("qst.rtd",,"quote!ls!ESH13")

Upvote 0
In cell A1 I have an RTD formula: =RTD("qst.rtd",,"quote!ls!ESH13")

In Cell B1 I would enter some text, example ESM13
Let's go back to your original question.

I am not familiar with the RTD add-in, but I think if you change your formula in A1 to this:
=RTD("qst.rtd",,"quote!ls!" & B1)
then it should pick up whatever you have in B1 and use that as the range in that formula.
So then your formula in A1 would be dynamic, depending on whatever is in B1. So you can can change B1 whenever you like, which would change what A1 returns.

Is that what you are looking for?

Upvote 0
That's exactly what I'm looking to do. Your solution seems easy enough, but would take some development on my side. Let me loop over to my developers, see if they can implement the change in the RTD coding, if so, I'm set. If not, I'll probably be back! Thanks again.

Jay

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syzer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back