VLOOKUP from data table not producing correct format

Kreese1003

Hello!

I currently have a worksheet where I have created a vlookup to correspond with a drop down menu to auto populate results based on a given table. In the original table the formats have dollar signs, percentages, dates, etc. all formatted correctly.

In the corresponding sheet that auto populates given a certain selection chosen from a drop down menu, nothing is formatted the way I want. I was able to get the date to change by adding TEXT to the beginning of the formula and “MM/DD/YYY” to the end but cannot get the other cells to display commas in a number, dollar signs, or percentages.

An example of formula not having the correct format is as follows:

=“”&IFERROR(vlookup(vlookup(rnginvoice,invoicesmain,1,false),invoicesmain,8,false),””””)

I have already tried to manually change the formatting of the cell and no selections change it.

Thanks for your help!

Kayla

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
formats don't usually follow the data

Upvote 0
formats don't usually follow the data

What do you mean by this? Are you saying there is not a way to change this and it will always appear as text even if I change the formatting? Why was I able to change the date format, but not currency or percentages?

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
a number is a number, text is text. as you said you changed the format using TEXT

Upvote 0
Hello!

I currently have a worksheet where I have created a vlookup to correspond with a drop down menu to auto populate results based on a given table. In the original table the formats have dollar signs, percentages, dates, etc. all formatted correctly.

In the corresponding sheet that auto populates given a certain selection chosen from a drop down menu, nothing is formatted the way I want. I was able to get the date to change by adding TEXT to the beginning of the formula and “MM/DD/YYY” to the end but cannot get the other cells to display commas in a number, dollar signs, or percentages.

=“”&IFERROR(vlookup(vlookup(rnginvoice,invoicesmain,1,false),invoicesmain,8,false),””””)

I have already tried to manually change the formatting of the cell and no selections change it.

Thanks for your help!

Kayla

you can try these

=TEXT(A1,"0%")
=TEXT(B1,"$#,##0.00")

Upvote 0
In the original table the formats have dollar signs, percentages, dates, etc. all formatted correctly.

Kayla

Hi,

The results of your VLOOKUP got turned into TEXT because you added a Blank (above in red); therefore, Cell Formatting will Not work, if you Remove the red part from the formula, then you can format the formula/result cell to display as you wish.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivek chauhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back