vlookup not working

tsh1586

I have a workbook that I am trying to return the total from one worksheet tab to another worksheet tab based on the insured name and plan. I have created a formula that returns the plan name based on the criteria so that the plan name matches on both sheets. I have also combined first and last name, then combined the name with the plan on both worksheets so that I can match the name and the plan to return the amount. It is not returning an amount, I either get a zero or a n/a. Help would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure how to get my entire worksheet to attach. What I need to do is match the name and ADP plan name from worksheet ListBill with the name and plan name on the ADP worksheet and return the Total Employee and Employer amount.
formula using =VLOOKUP(P33,ADP!O2:P352,2,FALSE)

Thanks for any help you can provide... If someone can let me know how to attach the worksheet I will do so. I tried everything I knew to do and it still would not show up.
Tammy

Last edited by a moderator:
Things like, you are looking up the value of
BAILEY,BRYAN K-Basic Life
but on the ADP sheet it's
Bailey, Bryan-Basic Life

I am aware of those but the ones that match exactly are not working. I wanted to fix the formula first then I was going to repair the names that needed changed.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
If they are not working & you changed the formula as I suggested, then I suspect that are not EXACTLY the same.
On the ListBill sheet in an empty cell put
=ADP!O11=P42
Where O11 & P42 are matching values. What does the formula return?

Upvote 0
If they are not working & you changed the formula as I suggested, then I suspect that are not EXACTLY the same.
On the ListBill sheet in an empty cell put
=ADP!O11=P42
Where O11 & P42 are matching values. What does the formula return?

That is what I was just trying and it says that none of them match "False" I am not sure where it is getting off. All I have done on the listbill sheet is combine first and last name then do a lookup to pull the plan name and add those together in the combine name and plan column.

Upvote 0
That is what I was just trying and it says that none of them match "False" I am not sure where it is getting off. All I have done on the listbill sheet is combine first and last name then do a lookup to pull the plan name and add those together in the combine name and plan column.

just checking the name against each other will work so it must be something to do with adding the plan name.
Is there a formula that I can use that will look at the name column and the plan column and compare it to the name and plan on the ADP worksheet and return the value of the rate from the ADP sheet?

Upvote 0
If you look at the example you supplied from the ADP sheet.
Some are upper case & some are proper case.
Some have a space after the comma, others don't.
Some have an initial after the name & some don't.
Until you can sort that out across the two sheets you are going to have problems.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back