Excel Personal Workbook showing as read only but it isn't

Balmer07

Office Version
  1. 365
Hi,

I have a macro set up in my personal workbook but the Personal workbook file is really annoying me. Every time I open an excel file a pop up says the personal workbook is locked for editing. I can only open the personal workbook as a read only meaning it can't be edited/saved etc. I have also tried to delete the personal workbook but I can't as it says it is open in Excel even though Excel is not open.

Not when I right click on the properties of the personal workbook the read only tick box isn't ticked.

Any ideas on what on earth is going on? lol

Thanks
Steven

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Hi,

I have a macro set up in my personal workbook but the Personal workbook file is really annoying me. Every time I open an excel file a pop up says the personal workbook is locked for editing. I can only open the personal workbook as a read only meaning it can't be edited/saved etc. I have also tried to delete the personal workbook but I can't as it says it is open in Excel even though Excel is not open.

Not when I right click on the properties of the personal workbook the read only tick box isn't ticked.

Any ideas on what on earth is going on? lol

Thanks
Steven

It is probably open in another instance of excel. Maybe invisible.

Try launching Task Manager and see if you have more than one instance of excel open .

Upvote 0
ah yes,

Something relating to excel was running in the processes section

thanks,

Upvote 0
ah yes,

Something relating to excel was running in the processes section

thanks,

I would recommend that you find out why the other hidden excel instance gets opend.

Also, if the personal workbook doesn't need to be edited , you can make it ReadOnly that way even if it gets opened in a seperate instance, you won't get the annoying RaeOnly Prompt.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back