Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2013
  3. 2010
  4. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Is the a formula that will count the total number of unique items in a list

For example, if I have a list where 5 items appear more than once. One item might appear 3 times, another appear 2, etc.

I don't need to find if an item is duplicated I just need to sum the number of duplicate items (which would be 5). Is there a formula that will do that?

Thank you in advance,

Michael

Hello, I have a list of data ( thousands of lines) containing sales information on customers. This data contain week numbers (column A), postcode (column J).

What I want to do is count how many unique postcodes are in each week so that I can add that information into a current pivot table which provides sales info etc etc.

For example,

In week 1 if I have NN15 7QS in more than once I only want to count it once, I I don't want to count the 5 occurrences of that postcode.I am currently using, =IF(SUMPRODUCT(($A$9558:$A9660=A9660)*($J$9558:$J9660=J9660))>1,0,1) which doesn't work as it is selecting prior weeks. I have also tried creating a new pivot table using the "Distinct Count"[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] function but when I try and add sales information into the pivot and use SUM it says "We can't summarize the field with Sum because it's not a supported calculation for Text data types".[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Any help as always is greatly appreciated.[/FONT]

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
@ richiebkerry

Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(postcodes<>"",IF(weeknums=wnum,MATCH(postscodes,postcodes,0))),ROW(INDEX(postcodes)-ROW(INDEX(postcodes,1,1))+1),1))

where wnum is a week number of interest.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back